Christmas decorations, technical help required.

Russdl

Definitely not self build related, but hopefully one of you wise (wo)men will help me out.

My good lady wife has a Christmas decoration powered by 4 AAA batteries (it's haemorrhaging our savings keeping it fed on batteries, so a tenuous self build link!)

I've an old adapter that outputs 7.5V and 350mA, will that make the motor spin really fast and the LED's burn really bright or will it quietly smoulder in the corner whilst I do a runner?

Russ.

20 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

Rechargeable NiMH or similar?

No, currently using disposable AAA batteries. It has an adapter socket but didn't come with an adapter, so I'm wondering if an old adapter would work and not kill it?

20 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Good grief! That's ridiculously cheap, thanks for that link Steamy

11 minutes ago, Russdl said:

No, currently using disposable AAA batteries. It has an adapter socket but didn't come with an adapter, so I'm wondering if an old adapter would work and not kill it?

Good grief! That's ridiculously cheap, thanks for that link Steamy

That deal expired in 2011 :D

4 AAA cells when brand new will be around 6.2 V, when effectively discharged they would be around 5 V, so a 6 V supply with the correct plug should do the job.  Hard to know what the current demand is, but as the cells are only AAA, which are not that high a capacity, I'd take a guesstimate that a supply capably of delivering at least 1 A should be fine.

1 minute ago, Barney12 said:

That deal expired in 2011 :D

Doh!

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

4 AAA cells when brand new will be around 6.2 V,

1 minute ago, JSHarris said:

I'd take a guesstimate that a supply capably of delivering at least 1 A should be fine.

So...  what I understand from your reply Jeremy is that if I plug this old adapter in it's unlikely to kill the decoration? Did I get that right?

(If it does kill it then my life will be on the line!!)

13 minutes ago, Russdl said:

Doh!

So...  what I understand from your reply Jeremy is that if I plug this old adapter in it's unlikely to kill the decoration? Did I get that right?

(If it does kill it then my life will be on the line!!)

Yes. 7.5V is too high, the maximum voltage it will normally see with brand new batteries is around 6.2 V.  350 mA is probably a bit on the low side, too.  The other thing to watch is that the polarity of any supply you use is correct.  The normal convention is now that the centre pin is the positive, but this isn't always adhered to so is worth checking before you plug anything in.  To add to the problem, there is a wide range of different sizes of power plug, and even common external barrel diameter ones, like 5.5mm, can have either a 2.1mm or 2.5mm internal pin/socket, making them incompatible with each other in some cases (some have springs that may make up the 0.4mm difference in pin size).