Hello from Kent

Joss

Hello

We have a 1930's bungalow, and are planning to convert the loft.  This involves extending it to the back over an existing flat roof extension and form a small covered balcony. At the same time we will be making alterations to the layout of the ground floor.

This is our first building project, and there seems a lot to learn.

We have planning permission, and I am currently trying to make sense of the building control drawings.  They show insulation going down the back of the ashlar walls, but I wondered if there are advantages to the insulation continuing down the roof slope and meeting the cavity wall insulation?  Would this be easier to install, and provide better access to the services in the eaves space?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Yes I would make the insulation follow the roof line all the way. It will be easier to detail and give you a warm eaves storage space as well.

I have a friend who did a very similar conversion. Initially he planned to remain in the bungalow during the work, but later decided to move out for the duration, and said that was the single best decision they made.

Welcome. @Joss.

There is a useful idea to bear in mind called the "full teacosy", which is an idea that ideal insulation extends over the entire house smoothly and as far as possible with no breaks  - which form cold bridges.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

Welcome to THE forum @Joss we are in Kent - building in Whitstable.

1 hour ago, Joss said:

They show insulation going down the back of the ashlar walls, but I wondered if there are advantages to the insulation continuing down the roof slope and meeting the cavity wall insulation?

If you can joining the two insulation sections is always a good move - no cold bridges. Need a sketch to make full sense of the internal (I assume) insulation on the back of the Ashlar walls - how good is the finish on these wall - are you in danger of loosing a great dressed stone feature?

Thanks for the welcome

Dave, it makes more sense to me to have the eaves within the heated space, so that services  are easier to access and don't make so many holes in insulation layer.   I try not to have too much stuff to store, but space may be useful.  Moving out would be difficult, we weren't planning to. We will need to discuss with the builder when we get that far.

Ferdinand, I love the idea of teacosy. However the technician has included 3 separate 100mm extraction vents and a new soil vent pipe through the roof. Also mention of trickle vents on windows, so I am thinking I will end up with more of a sieve unless I can avoid all these and still keep within the regs. MVHR is looking more attractive, but it does seem very bulky and expensive. 

Mark, on my plans, the ashlar walls are stud walls made of timber, which I think are to hold up the existing roof structure.  No ashlar stone anywhere near - no great features about our house.

I appreciate the comments.

2 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

You might simplfy life a bit by removing the soil pipe through the roof and using an Air Admittance Valve inside the building if acceptable to Building Control.

Yes, but it'll have to be replaced elsewhere to comply. It can go outside on a rear elevation out of site and be reduced to 3" instead of 4" so can be made to look like a down pipe. ;) 

Oh, and welcome @Joss ! ?

16 hours ago, Joss said:

Thanks for the welcome

Ferdinand, I love the idea of teacosy. However the technician has included 3 separate 100mm extraction vents and a new soil vent pipe through the roof. Also mention of trickle vents on windows, so I am thinking I will end up with more of a sieve unless I can avoid all these and still keep within the regs. MVHR is looking more attractive, but it does seem very bulky and expensive. 

That is not *too* many vents (others may comment as MVHR etc is not my special area), and my teacosy has 2 holes in it.

You could use Heat Recovery fans with a constant trickle. I use Lo Carbon Tempras from Vent-Axia in combination with a loft PIV to get air in - but those are just an example of what exists as you have not posted detail.

If you know what you want you could get an MVHR in a deal or off ebay well in advance and save significantly.

F

Edited by Ferdinand

21 hours ago, Onoff said:

Another Kent lad! Welcome.

Kent - yes, lad - no !

14 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

Hi @Joss welcome to the forum, which bit of Kent are you in?

A few miles south of you, nearest town is Dover.

Thanks to everyone for your replies.  I'm off to do some more reading, and will no doubt be back with some other questions soon.