Internorm sliders leaking

lizzie

Hi all

our Internorm sliders are leaking, have been since they were installed in September, think it is at the thresholds, supplier blames us says it is coming in via the sides of the timber frame and travelling. This is very clearly not the case. They dont agree their windows are the problem and won’t even agree to look again until we have completed our cladding but that is delayed and will be another month at least meantime we are having usual winter bad weather and driving rain in an exposed location and the water is coming in, I have newly plastered walls wicking up the water around the problem windows (2 different rooms) and now plaster is wet to a foot high. Cut outs for light  in the slab at the window reveals are full of water.....electrician cant do lights underwater.......the tiler will not complete tiles to threshold as there is clearly. a problem. Every trade on site can see it is the windows but supplier wont accept it. They fitted them.

We will cut off bottom of plaster to try and stop wicking and prevent further damage but beyond that not much more we can do.

Anyone else had this problem with internorm sliders?

Thanks

Not on a slider, but on a "normal" door threshold my main contractor bodged up the the lapping of the DPC into one of the thresholds. Created a fold that trapped water and funneled it under the threshold and into the mat well. I trimmed off the excess DPC and silicon sealed and with the cill in place it's never leaked again.

We had an Internorm door set that I was completely convinced was leaking (but hadn’t got as far as contacting the supplier). The water always looked like it was tracking in through the frame/door edge but I never managed to work out where. 

In the end I decided to re-apply the silicone all the way round the window before we completed the remainder of the block work and rendered. Ever since then it hasn’t leaked at all and boy have we had some driving rain up here.

Water is the weirdest thing, it seems to track in directions which are unfathomable.

Whats frustrating is you won’t really know until you complete the outside unless you can prove the leak. 

Our lift slide doors leaked for the first year and we thought the rain was coming in down the side of the frame. It wasn't, eventually we discovered it was leaking through the base seal where the doors overlap. These are the pictures provided to the suppliers.

Seal2.thumb.jpg.8358324d503f53434b10d09a0feb9b13.jpg

Inside2.thumb.jpg.54f5211b117c7e4cabed1de243132b1c.jpg

Peter thank you that it is distinct possibility. Will certainly investigate.  Its happening at 2 out of 5 sets of sliders.

Barney we have siliconed to no avail, think thats why he is blaming our frame and wants to review when complete.

The number one reason as to why sliders will leak or not function properly in my experience - is that they have not been laser levelled and therefor not square / plumb. If a slider is out by 3mm over an expanse of 3 metres plus, it can cause operational difficulties. This "can" have knock on effect in regards to water ingress, I'm not saying that is the issue it's just a possibility to be aware of.

The picture above looks like the detail of sliding door systems provided to many manufacturers from Seigena, very good systems. We have experienced similar issues in the past from non Austrian suppliers and replaced the foam pads and sealed it better. In newer models, this is no longer present.

A good way to determine where the water is actually penetrating, is the good old fashioned hose test.

Edited by craig
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, craig said:

The number one reason as to why sliders will leak or not function properly in my experience - is that they have not been laser levelled and therefor not square / plumb. If a slider is out by 3mm over an expanse of 3 metres plus, it can cause operational difficulties. This "can" have knock on effect in regards to water ingress, I'm not saying that is the issue it's just a possibility to be aware of.

The picture above looks like the detail of sliding door systems provided to many manufacturers from Seigena, very good systems. We have experienced similar issues in the past from non Austrian suppliers and replaced the foam pads and sealed it better. In newer models, this is no longer present.

A good way to determine where the water is actually penetrating, is the good old fashioned hose test.

mmm hose test shudder shuuder but maybe......

• 1 month later...

Reviving this thread .....after much experimentation we have now shown without doubt water is coming in through the thresholds and not the frame.  Supplier still wont take responsibility and is now saying it is our problem with dpc......can’t be right, all sliders have exactly the same problem, they are in different rooms.

I’m so fed up of this installer not taking responsibility and not even coming out coming to check. We have 2 sliders where the doors  are not propertly set so they dont slide smoothly and water is coming in at the junction between the fixed and sliding panels. Easy to see why ... the rubber seals are not aligned due to the doors being out.  That is a separate problem to the one where water is coming in under the thresholds somehow. We have so much silicone on there now if there is a UKwide shortage it will be because we have bought it all, it has not cured the problem though.

Has anyone any experience of going to Internorm HQ to get them to intervene and get the problems with their installers sorted?

I might add that as well as the leaking sliders I have a back door that is almost impossible to lock with they key and that door came with clear glass not satinato as ordered.  Been in going on 6 months now and still not sorted. I am thoroughly fed up of these people and wonder why I paid the premium for Internorm windows.

Any suggestions guys (polite ones of course)?

41 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Our slider supplier/installers, not Internorm, were a real pain to get back for adjustments. In the end we threatened them with Trading Standards and they weren't interested, but they were registered with Checkatrade so we contacted them. They were amazingly helpful and wrote to the company telling them to sort out the problem or it would be listed on their website. It did the trick and they sorted the slider out, so no leaks and it slides smoothly. Our Internorm rear entrance door also got to the point where it was almost impossible to lock. We fitted the entrance doors ourselves so we did the adjustments ourselves using the attached document. IIRC page 55 onwards. Some Internorm door designs are much easier to adjust than others and we had to remove the door to adjust the hinges on ours which allowed the door to shut smoothly.

Internorm_Adjustments.pdf

42 minutes ago, lizzie said:

Reviving this thread .....after much experimentation we have now shown without doubt water is coming in through the thresholds and not the frame.  Supplier still wont take responsibility and is now saying it is our problem with dpc......can’t be right, all sliders have exactly the same problem, they are in different rooms.

I’m so fed up of this installer not taking responsibility and not even coming out coming to check. We have 2 sliders where the doors  are not propertly set so they dont slide smoothly and water is coming in at the junction between the fixed and sliding panels. Easy to see why ... the rubber seals are not aligned due to the doors being out.  That is a separate problem to the one where water is coming in under the thresholds somehow. We have so much silicone on there now if there is a UKwide shortage it will be because we have bought it all, it has not cured the problem though.

Has anyone any experience of going to Internorm HQ to get them to intervene and get the problems with their installers sorted?

I might add that as well as the leaking sliders I have a back door that is almost impossible to lock with they key and that door came with clear glass not satinato as ordered.  Been in going on 6 months now and still not sorted. I am thoroughly fed up of these people and wonder why I paid the premium for Internorm windows.

Hi Lizzie, did you get the windows from a [1st] window partner? If you do you should have also received the window partner guarantee document which sets out that you can go to Internorm direct in the event that a warranty issue isn’t resolved. 

Im affraid my experience of Internorm is identical to yours. Appalling service from the installer and no end of issues. 

We we still have one leaking window. (They are booked to return to rectify) and we too have doors which are near impossible o lock. The installers repsonse was that “they will loosen with age”, this is not accepted and they are returning again.

Im away at the moment but if you drop me a PM I’ll send you some HO contact details. 

To to answer your question: No they aren’t very helpful but contacting them did push our installer along! 

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

Our slider supplier/installers, not Internorm, were a real pain to get back for adjustments. In the end we threatened them with Trading Standards and they weren't interested, but they were registered with Checkatrade so we contacted them. They were amazingly helpful and wrote to the company telling them to sort out the problem or it would be listed on their website. It did the trick and they sorted the slider out, so no leaks and it slides smoothly. Our Internorm rear entrance door also got to the point where it was almost impossible to lock. We fitted the entrance doors ourselves so we did the adjustments ourselves using the attached document. IIRC page 55 onwards. Some Internorm door designs are much easier to adjust than others and we had to remove the door to adjust the hinges on ours which allowed the door to shut smoothly.

Internorm_Adjustments.pdf

Thank you I will look closely at it.