Looking for a decent fire door....

ProDave

Yes that old chestnut.

Fire door to go between the house and the adjoined garage. So needs FD30 or preferably FD60 rating.

But the house is warm and air tight, the garage, although insulated will be a cold space and draughty (partly due to the building regs requirement for ventilation)

So what I want is a good, well insulated, well sealed door that's fire rated.

An internal fire door just doesn't cut the mustard.

Howdens do some of their exterior doors with a fire rating, but they don't quote U values and it will just be a timber door in a timber frame and I doubt it will have much in the way of sealing so probably hardly any better than an internal fire door.

Any suggestions? this seems to be a "gap" in the market.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Dave, did you get this sorted?

I'm in a similar position myself - needing a fire door (FD30) between the garage and the house.  Though (as i didn't realise it needed to be a fire door) I've already ordered (due to be delivered in 2-3 weeks) a standard internorm external door which i was going to put in there but i suspect their standard doors are not fire doors.  I'll have to give them a call and see.

On 31/10/2016 at 13:39, JamieM said:

it is PVC alu-clad. 

I have to phone the supplier in a day or 2 about something else so will mention to him then and afterwards feed back here.

I phoned the supplier on the Tuesday morning and he just got back to me.

The door came out of production on the 2nd so there is nothing he can do about it.  So we're getting and paying for an internorm PVC door.  I'll need to check with NI BC that we def do need a FD between our garage and house. (but as the architect put it in there I'm sure we do  :-(  )

Or think of another use for it. suggestions very welcome!

We are most likely getting Internorm doors and windows and the doors are timber aluclud (windows are PVC aluclad). They have no mention of fire rating but an aluclad timber door should meet FD30 requierments? 

I have the same issue with the integral garage, I am fairly certain that building control will want a fire door to the garage, if Internorm can't supply the certification then I will have to source an alternative. hopefully you can reach a solution. Did you contact internorm?

(Are you sure that the door you are getting is actually PVC it may be timber?)

The door is a PVC one but it is alu-clad. I rang them up to ask and they tell me it's definatly not fire rated. Our main door for the house from them is timber but all the other ones are pvc. 

• 2 months later...

I'm still trying to decide on a door to use between my attached garage and house which needs to be 30 minutes fire rated (fd30) and struggling to find many options that offer descent enough thermal and air tightness results.

Below are the current 2 options that I've been able to find. 

Option 1 from a local precision joinery company

-54mm solidcore door leaf factory primed

-94x57 hardwood door frame complete with 15 x 4 fire and smoke seals

-Ballrace grade 13 hinges

-Din Sash lock

-Eurospec SS lever handle

-Europrofile cylinder key outside thumb release inside

£395 + vat does not include installation (would have to get my joiner to install and would also have to paint)

Optional extra which I would go for

Is8001 drop threshold factory fitted to the bottom of door leaf

£38

Option 2 from Baskil Windows

-56mm thick engineered door leaf

Comprises of interleaved layers of cork to give a thermally excellent core – U-value of 1.1W/m²K

-Sub surface aluminium layers to ensure stability

-Surface sheeting to Hazard Class 3

-Available as an FD30 fire rated door
-Range of nine sheeted designs with varied glazing features

-Frame in hardwood or laminated pine
-Multi-point locking for a strong secure door
-Hardwearing aluminium cill at threshold level
-Available in a range of RAL colours

http://www.baskilwindowsystems.co.uk/productdetails?p=175&n=250&pc=0&gc=20&c=1&ci=3&i=41

£1000 (phoned up and forgot to ask if this included vat but did include measuring up and installation)

Option 1 is cheaper but the guy was unable to tell me any official u values other than it being good (worried me a little) but I wonder would it be much different than the Baskil one which is nearly double the price). Anyone any thoughts or opinions they can share?

Thanks

Jamie

• 2 weeks later...

Thought I would chip in, as I have the same problem.  I (will) have Internorm doors and need a FD30 garage door, but am not willing to compromise on performance.  No matter how I tried I could not find a descent U value FD-30, all options are just normal fire doors or treatments for doors (as long as they are wood) so a composite (high performance) door doesn't count.  I am sure that the Internorm HT400 would be FD30 rated they just haven't tested it.  Also I found spitfire doors, good U values and Fire Rated on the continent but not here.  Apparently there just isn't the market for low U value fire Doors.

My solution is that I will fit a fire curtain (or the main contractor will) on the house-garage door (door open in to house so curtain on garage side) for an example see the link below (others are available)

http://www.coopersfire.com/

not the cheapest solution, but will comply with the regs!

An option might be 2 doors? The one inside the house being the thermally efficient one and the one facing the garage could be a cheap £30ish fire door. Of course you need to double up on the door linings, hinges, handles etc, but if you have energy efficient house then your wall thickness will be sufficient for this approach.

17 hours ago, le-cerveau said:

No matter how I tried I could not find a descent U value FD-30

I thought the baskil door i linked to above wasn't too bad as far as u-vlaues go for doors?  From memory, I don't think my internorm doors are much better.

@le-cerveau i really like the idea of the fire curtain as i already have an internorm door i bought for between the garage and house before realizing it needed to be FD30 rated (one my my dearer mistakes).  you mentioned they are not the cheapest solution - did you get a price for them you could share (or PM if you dont want to put the price online).

will have to see if i can find a youtube video of it operating.  i presume when it detects fire it automatically lowers.

• 4 years later...

Now its 2021 and time for me to revive this thread....same problem. Need a fire door to go from garage to utility but needs to be air tight and good options available? 

Scottish regs require a good bit of cross ventilation in garage (which makes me question the need for an insualyed garage door but that's a separate issue). 

So air tight door or standard FD30/60 with some seals added?