Induction hobs with integrated ventilation - no reviews available on new models

Too late, I'm afraid- we've already ordered the ducting from Gutmann, as well as the Abajo.  I was thinking we could box it in underground and wrap the ducting in lagging to stop it rattling around.  Do you think this is feasible/dangerous?  I suppose if it end up too bad we would have to buy the bits to make it re circulating and cut a hole in the plinth

• 5 months later...
On 16/08/2018 at 21:06, ryder72 said:

Gutmann is available to Blanco dealers but they only really push it with a select few dealers (maybe 30-50) out of their 2000 odd accounts so expect your dealer to do no more than act like a sales agent.

Your Gutmann hood can be connected to underfloor ducting and then brought back out but use Naber 220mm ducting ONLY or you will suffer with the consequences of excessive noise and loss of efficiency. With the type of ducting length and bends you are planning there is going to be an inevitable loss of efficiency. As  regards the load bearing capacity of the ducting, you will find this information with loads  of caveats from any hood supplier.

Is there any reason you wont consider one of these hoods in a recirculation format. The recirculation options from both Bora and Novy are good with Novy having the advantage of operating at a muuch greater air pressure, quieter in operation and a 7-8 year service life of the filters.

I have been looking at the Novy on the net and am impressed with what i ave seen and read.  Where can i buy the Novy in the UK?

2 hours ago, vivienz said:

I have. I succumbed to temptation and have ordered a Novy Panorama. I'm going to arrange delivery in the next week as my kitchen is arriving soon.

Cooks and Company were okay to deal with, no problems.

What price did you get it from from there?  I am set on getting a Novy and trying to save money elsewhere in the Kitchen!

12 hours ago, Coops85 said:

What price did you get it from from there?  I am set on getting a Novy and trying to save money elsewhere in the Kitchen!

About 4k including the filter stuff and VAT.  Thank goodness for the DIY Kitchens January sale which offset a little of that.

• 3 months later...

Given the topic title:

Let me note that "On Paper" this hob seems like a great deal:

Innocenti ART29141 599GBP

And Bora's are "2500ish"? (sigh, why are people coy with prices.. )

I'd be interested in why Bora is better, and if that difference is worth it. For example:

- Bora has a total power of 7.6kw - not enough power to have everything on at full blast. Innocenti sits at 8.3kw, so it can output more heat at the same time

- Bora extracts 647m3 air per hour. Innocenti sits at 504, so there the Bora wins

Everything else is fairly similar (very very handwavey)

So far it's "kinda a draw". I suspect that the Bora might be better designed and therefore (for example) better able to handle spilling large amounts of liquids down it, or easier to clean .. but ..

Edited by puntloos

@puntloos there is more to choosing a hob than ventilation rates.  Get the cook involved too. I would have a look on line for some reviews too.

The times you would run the extract on max would be rare I would think, I have mine set to auto detect for extraction rate and it rarely gets to half max. If you have it MVHR is also extracting remember.

The hob in the link is cheap so what have you got to lose?  Its a cheaper version anyway as not flexi induction but for the price if you can live without flexi (ask the cook) and you want to save a few bob go for it.  If it lasts you the warranty period then its been a good enough buy.

I have a Bora flexi because its what I liked after trying cooking on several. Induction hobs vary a lot.

3 minutes ago, lizzie said:

@puntloos there is more to choosing a hob than ventilation rates.  Get the cook involved too. I would have a look on line for some reviews too.

That's the hard part, many of these hobs have poor review coverage (I can't find a review for this innocenti one, for example.. )

The times you would run the extract on max would be rare I would think, I have mine set to auto detect for extraction rate and it rarely gets to half max. If you have it MVHR is also extracting remember.

Yep very fair point, I kinda see the 'extraction hob' as a backup alternative, should I not be able to manage other extraction. I indeed plan to have MVHR so perhaps all I need is some grease filter mounted in the ceiling? (does grease even go up into the ceiling?) 

The hob in the link is cheap so what have you got to lose?  Its a cheaper version anyway as not flexi induction but for the price if you can live without flexi (ask the cook) and you want to save a few bob go for it.  If it lasts you the warranty period then its been a good enough buy.

Not yet the time to make these decisions for me yet, and indeed I'm intrigued by these "everything is a cooking zone" type hobs but as the main cook in our family, indeed I cook way too often to skimp. 

I have a Bora flexi because its what I liked after trying cooking on several. Induction hobs vary a lot.

How did you manage trying cooking on several? Some demo rooms? And what did you cook as a 'benchmark'? 

Thanks for your thoughts, appreciated

@puntloos much easier if you are the cook and doing your own choosing!

I tested at some demo kitchens and some friends houses.  I tried a stir fry and boiling pasta.  I wanted to see the extract in action but also how controllable the heat source was.

If you have never had a flexi  "everything is a cooking zone"  then do try one, its great you can use larger/different shaped pans and have even heat all over.  I am sure you will be converted.

Bora do a big rectangular pan that I use for teppanyaki style cooking it works very well for a full english griddle too.

4 hours ago, puntloos said:

Given the topic title:

Let me note that "On Paper" this hob seems like a great deal:

Innocenti ART29141 599GBP

And Bora's are "2500ish"? (sigh, why are people coy with prices.. )

I'd be interested in why Bora is better, and if that difference is worth it. For example:

- Bora has a total power of 7.6kw - not enough power to have everything on at full blast. Innocenti sits at 8.3kw, so it can output more heat at the same time

- Bora extracts 647m3 air per hour. Innocenti sits at 504, so there the Bora wins

Everything else is fairly similar (very very handwavey)

So far it's "kinda a draw". I suspect that the Bora might be better designed and therefore (for example) better able to handle spilling large amounts of liquids down it, or easier to clean .. but ..

I can't find the manufacturers website when I type "Innocenti ART29141"into google - not a good sign.

I was going to check out the hob technical drawings to see how much space it needs. In one of the photos of the link you provided it looks like the Innocenti would need more space than the Bora. 

@ultramods I think its an own brand product, they say they are a European manufacturer but guess it could  be chinese........if you look at the page the link takes you to towards the bottom of the page it offers you a download of a user manual. All the install instructions and measurements are in there.

2 hours ago, ultramods said:

I can't find the manufacturers website when I type "Innocenti ART29141"into google - not a good sign.

I was going to check out the hob technical drawings to see how much space it needs. In one of the photos of the link you provided it looks like the Innocenti would need more space than the Bora. 

Yeah not a massive amount of confidence around this hob.. but hey if it works it works

Just in general I'm shocked how hard it is to find reviews for "house devices" - fridges, washers etc etc

I was looking for a liebherr fridge, found just a random hit on the googles: https://www.appliancecity.co.uk/refrigeration/fridge-freezers/freestanding-matching-sets/liebherr-sbsef7242-121cm-side-by-side-fridge-freezer/  - so "SBSEF7242 review.." .. nope, nothing

Weird.

22 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Just in general I'm shocked how hard it is to find reviews for "house devices" - fridges, washers etc etc

I was looking for a liebherr fridge, found just a random hit on the googles: https://www.appliancecity.co.uk/refrigeration/fridge-freezers/freestanding-matching-sets/liebherr-sbsef7242-121cm-side-by-side-fridge-freezer/  - so "SBSEF7242 review.." .. nope, nothing

Weird.

I subscribe to Which for trustworthy reviews. Only issue with which is it seams to take a while to catch up with the "latest technology".When i was researching downdraft induction hobs last year they didn't have any reviews and I suspect even now they probably wont.

having said that Which has helped us pick our fridge, freezer, dishwasher and washing machine.

5 minutes ago, ultramods said:

I subscribe to Which for trustworthy reviews. Only issue with which is it seams to take a while to catch up with the "latest technology".When i was researching downdraft induction hobs last year they didn't have any reviews and I suspect even now they probably wont.

having said that Which has helped us pick our fridge, freezer, dishwasher and washing machine.

Good tip, I might have to get a subscription I suppose.

Also many modern manufacturers now bring out a new model of a 'thing' pretty much every year, with a different model number, and only minor improvements to the internals, so a year-old review of the previous model is probably going to be helpful if perhaps slightly too negative (since the new model might've had some snags improved..)

4 minutes ago, puntloos said:

Good tip, I might have to get a subscription I suppose.

Also many modern manufacturers now bring out a new model of a 'thing' pretty much every year, with a different model number, and only minor improvements to the internals, so a year-old review of the previous model is probably going to be helpful if perhaps slightly too negative (since the new model might've had some snags improved..)

you can pay for a days access if you like.