Stonework Cost

Hi,

I'm looking for natural stone on a few parts of my house and was wondering if anyone had an idea of cost?

There are roughly 78m2 to be covered and i've only had one quote which seems outrageous to me.

So the stone itself is costing me about £38 per m2 which is fairly reasonable.  I was told by stone company to expect to pay around the same again for getting it fitted.  But my only quote thus far has been for over 10K which works out at a stonking £125 per m2

Surely it's not that expensive?

Thanks

Damian

The stone guy is from Carlow,

I was told this by more than one crowd at the self build show but since I'm not buying off them not sure if they would give details.

Got another contact from a local septic tank fella who is also building so hoping they are a bit more sensible about the price.

Thankfully it's not only me who thinks it's well over priced.

I could understand if they were shaping field stone or that kind of thing but it's Silver Quartzite, shouldn't be much harder than laying soap bars

21 minutes ago, Shell820810 said:

We got a price of about £6K for the front of our sunroom and front porch, and an inside chimney, that's with mcmonagle liscannor cladding. 

I thought the cladding would have been cheaper but who knows

Just now, Shell820810 said:

Apparently the cost is pretty similar.  The labour is less, but the stone is more. 

This is were my thinking was coming from.  

The stoneer is €55 per m2 and the natural stone €45 per m2 so i was thinking you'd be looking the inverse for labour.  Not £125 per m2

One of my friends is facing off part of his build with stone (small stone, 300 / 400 mm in length, 50 / 100 mm in height, all pre-cut so they are approx 100mm in depth).  The guys he has laying the stone get between 2 and 3 sq metres done a day .  Perhaps puts £125 / m2 in some context?

17 hours ago, Stones said:

One of my friends is facing off part of his build with stone (small stone, 300 / 400 mm in length, 50 / 100 mm in height, all pre-cut so they are approx 100mm in depth).  The guys he has laying the stone get between 2 and 3 sq metres done a day .  Perhaps puts £125 / m2 in some context?

Guys (as in more than one?) 

That's slow going alright.

That would leave it 5 weeks to do my 78m2 at their best pace?  Jesus wept I would think i could do it quicker myself.  

I have an offer from my building crew to do it for 350 per day (3 man crew) but i am concerned they will try and take the piss and end up taking 2 months to get it done so i'm looking alternatives.

Just now, Stones said:

Sorry, that's each.  

Thats not so bad,

So that would leave my builders crew doing 2 man laying 1 man doing the muck.  About an average of 5m2 per day roughly 3 weeks to finish.

1500 per week = 4500

That i could live with. 

Just now, Declan52 said:

Depends on the size of the stones but it's usually only a meter high each day or it starts to bulge out . Length wise depends on the stone mason. 

There are 3 seperate areas they could work on.

Porch 3 sides, Sunroom 3 sides and garage front so could shift around a bit.