Sign in to follow this  
ProDave

Batten down the hatches again

Looks particularly blowy out West tomorrow morning, @Crofter and later in the day along the north coast and isles @Stones

Looks to be somewhat wild along parts of the Moray and Aberdeen coast but so far the forecast for here is not too bad.

12 degrees here right now, that's set to fall off a cliff tomorrow as well.

And someone mentioned snow and blizzards.

Already starting to shake the house, spent the whole day securing anything and everything. Just got to see it through now.  

Just had a look at the data direct from the Met Office.  Looks as if the highest wind speeds are going to be across the far North, roughly above a line from Skye to Inverness, and from the West.  However,  looking at the finer detail, I reckon that the Hebrides, Orkneys and Shetlands may see much the worst, the upside being that those areas, along with the coastal areas around the far North, are generally better prepared. 

Looking at how this storm has moved, it wouldn't surprise me to find that NI, the whole of Scotland, plus bits of the North of England get a bit a battering, with the West of those areas seeing the worst of it tomorrow.

The animations on windy.com look pretty close to what the raw met office data is saying (and I do wish the Met Office hadn't dumbed down their forecasts they put on their public portal - they are bloody useless for anyone with even a basic bit of met knowledge).

Not a good time to have an open and part completed build, for sure.

Just had a quick look on nullschool and it is 35MPH and 12.9°C down here.  Which is stupidly warm, but very nice.

I am rather hoping for a lot of rain so that I can find out if I have cured my leak.

Just under 10C with a 40 mph wind speed at the moment. Wind due to increase a little overnight before significantly increasing early afternoon tomorrow to 80 mph. Kids are delighted, school transport is getting brought forward tomorrow so only a half day for them.

Yes it's a wee bit breezy up here. I spent the day bouncing around on boats, kind of exciting/terrifying. Jumping from a RIB onto a ladder on the side of a barge was... fun.

Build seems to be holding up well- tin roof seems well screwed down.

Not sure what tomorrow will bring, but I'm glad that this winter I have a genny and a decent load of firewood in stock.

We have a yellow warning in place for Thurs and Fri for gales and then snow. Another storm on Sunday as well with more snow.

13 minutes ago, jamiehamy said:

And me please - pouring 19m3 today...! 

DSC_3437.JPG

If it does go t!ts up it'll be God jealous of your bfo garage! :) Apparently he's got a couple of classic Fords need doing up...

9 minutes ago, Onoff said:

If it does go t!ts up it'll be God jealous of your bfo garage! :) Apparently he's got a couple of classic Fords need doing up...

You spelled Volkswagen wrong...  :-p 

Mean wind speed here high 30's gusts to just over 50. That's about the peak we are going to get according to passageweather.com

I know the weather in the North has been bad for a while but it's also not good here for the opposite reason. Our well has been empty for the last two months which at this time of the year is very unusual. We have had a total rainfall of 523mm over the last twelve months up to the end of October. There is a warning of drought conditions next summer if we don't get significant rainfall over the winter as the reservoirs are low.

Or mine!! , I have been waiting all summer for the ground to dry out enough to get my 100tons of clay removed from site, the farmer who was going to shift it just can’t get on his land with machinery. I have just about given up with my JCB as it sinks whenever I try to do something, I am going to get a swing shovel in to do the work.

Hmm, wind speed has dropped, but just had a text saying the schools are closing earlier than the previously announced early closure time.  By the looks of it, we are going to get hit fairly hard in the next couple of hours.

Sustained 50mph and gusts over 70 at Wick

56 mph and 74mph gusts at Kirkwall airport