Super extra wide cover strip

Tennentslager

Hmmm...still doing the mega budget refurb of the hairdresser which is slowly becoming a lovely new office base for our team.

In true DIY SOS style the carpet guys did 50m for less than £500, nice people are everywhere folks ?

IMG_20171205_144226313_HDR.thumb.jpg.8a509a0c2e308a08533510b25c057dac.jpgPlease don't mind the jazzy lights, it's where the bejazzaled former hair people had their washing basins!

Anyhow...the QUESTION

In the pic below you can see the back office minus a stud wall. The vynal flooring has a 110mm gap in the middle of what is now one space.

How do I make this good?

IMG_20171204_143615538.thumb.jpg.288eb045d3212cabb50ef13fee52d216.jpg

We have people with reduced mobility using the space, it's a kind of dining kitchen area, so something that has a low profile is best.

Carpet fitters said 6mm MDF with rounded edge bonded to the vinyl. Too thick I reckon and a trip hazard.

Aluminium plate maybe?

Super sticky tape? As long as it's black.

Suggestions welcome, hope I've explained this okay.

@Tennentslager

I am not quite clear what your objective is here. You say the front room is now carpet with a 6mm drop to the vinyl (?) Or is that the proposal for this kitchen-area threshold?

Wouldn't black tape just make it an invisible trip hazard?

What does it do? How deep is it to the base of the wooden threshold - eg does it go through the thickness of the floor? Could you hoick it out and replace it with something thin / flush?

I had a hole-in-an-internal-wall like that at the LBB, and we just put the wall back xD. But that would not be a relief to your coffee-drinkers, who need a sort of site-hut to make their drinks.

Are you planning to replace the vinyl (£6-8 (?) per sqm). If so - or if just replacing the vinyl in the coffee area - I think I would just put a 6mm (?) ply later down rather than hardboard, and use that to level it up to the raised threshold? Or make it flush as suggested with a level threshold.

F

Edited by Ferdinand