Heating pipe

RichS

So I've asked before regarding best type of pipe.

@Nickfromwales kindly replied with the answer Pex-Al-Pex.

Is there any reason to avoid something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Underfloor-heating-pipe-PEX-AL-PEX-pipe-16mm-x-2mm-300m-rolls-WRAS-approved/322223143087?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49479%26meid%3Ddcb95cc1cca74692a819a55a8d47820a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D222215058922&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I assume there are different qualities available but if it is WRAS approved does this indicate that it should be ok??

21 minutes ago, RichS said:

So I've asked before regarding best type of pipe.

@Nickfromwales kindly replied with the answer Pex-Al-Pex.

Is there any reason to avoid something like this https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Underfloor-heating-pipe-PEX-AL-PEX-pipe-16mm-x-2mm-300m-rolls-WRAS-approved/322223143087?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49479%26meid%3Ddcb95cc1cca74692a819a55a8d47820a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D222215058922&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I assume there are different qualities available but if it is WRAS approved does this indicate that it should be ok??

The pipe is the type I use, and if that's £155 for 300m then not a bad price too :)

Its "make an offer" too so try just taking the £14 delivery fee off ;)

ESP are a known to be good supplier (with a couple of minor niggles about representation of stuff) and for something like this I'd say go for it, as I'm sure it will be OK.  It may well be Chinese, as ESP seem to focus on direct import from China of products made for the Chinese domestic market, then getting them through UK approval, but frankly I suspect the same may well be true of stuff from a lot of other suppliers.  I have a feeling that their business model is very like that of Navitron, in that they source Chinese made products, check them to make sure they are reasonable quality, then resell them here.  That has to be better than taking pot luck with buying direct from China, in my experience.

Not sure why UFH pipe needs to be WRAS approved, though, as generally WRAS approval is only required for potable water stuff.

If it we me I'd buy it, as I've spoken to the ESP guys at length in the past and found them to be OK in the main.   Try calling them direct - you might get the ebay fees waved.

Edited by JSHarris

WRAS approval is usually a benefit as this pipe is also ok for running hot and cold ( potable / drinking quality ) water through it. :). I've used it plenty of times as a robust alternative to copper when I've had the house ( renovations ) open and free reign to pull long lengths in with no joints. 

2 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

WRAS approval is usually a benefit as this pipe is also ok for running hot and cold ( potable / drinking quality ) water through it. :). I've used it plenty of times as a robust alternative to copper when I've had the house ( renovations ) open and free reign to pull long lengths in with no joints. 

Hmmm, interesting.

At the price of that link it is definitely cheaper per metre than Hep2o but can you manage to get 15mm fittings onto a 16mm pipe with no issues??.

6 minutes ago, RichS said:

Hmmm, interesting.

At the price of that link it is definitely cheaper per metre than Hep2o but can you manage to get 15mm fittings onto a 16mm pipe with no issues??.

In a word ... No...!

you need 15/16mm adapters and you may find the price difference disappears at that stage. 

Hep2O can be had pretty cheaply - 60p/m for 15mm iirc. 

I only use the Pex for potable services if it's 'left over' from the UFH order. Some ufh loops leave long off cuts so it's ok to use it then imo as it's just too short to ever use again as an UFH loop and would otherwise be binned. 

On the last job I ran it as hot & cold there was around 140m2 of UFH and a lot of leftover pipe so the cost of the 15x16mn connectors soon became insignificant. 

Fwiw, I'd never choose to use a non standard ( 16mm ) pipe from choice as it's not going to be economical, so if designing and installing from scratch it should all be 15mm ( Hepworth ) so it's directiy compatible with the range of fittings it'll need connecting to. 

8 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

I only use the Pex for potable services if it's 'left over' from the UFH order. Some ufh loops leave long off cuts so it's ok to use it then imo as it's just too short to ever use again as an UFH loop and would otherwise be binned. 

On the last job I ran it as hot & cold there was around 140m2 of UFH and a lot of leftover pipe so the cost of the 15x16mn connectors soon became insignificant. 

Fwiw, I'd never choose to use a non standard ( 16mm ) pipe from choice as it's not going to be economical, so if designing and installing from scratch it should all be 15mm ( Hepworth ) so it's directiy compatible with the range of fittings it'll need connecting to. 

Are you telling me NOW I should have gone 15mm? :)

4 Sept 2015 -

Now I'm awake I'll stop talking out of my backside. , You'll need to be using 16mm pipe to be compatible with the majority of pukka manifolds. Stay away from the likes of PolyPlumb, JG Speed-fit and Uponor, go for Wunda or similar with 16mm outlets. ( I've posted re suppliers, but ask again if necessary ). 
Regards, lack-of-sleep man. 

39 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Are you telling me NOW I should have gone 15mm? :)

4 Sept 2015 -

Now I'm awake I'll stop talking out of my backside. , You'll need to be using 16mm pipe to be compatible with the majority of pukka manifolds. Stay away from the likes of PolyPlumb, JG Speed-fit and Uponor, go for Wunda or similar with 16mm outlets. ( I've posted re suppliers, but ask again if necessary ). 
Regards, lack-of-sleep man. 

Try and keep up will you :D

Were on about using pex for potable. Don't go taking a Kango to your slab quite yet. 

Thanks for all the replies, I've made an offer so we'll see what happens. I also checked that they will supply a VAT receipt.

Also following on from @Nickfromwales earlier advice I've managed to pick up a pipe de-coiler for £70.00.

Edited by RichS

31 minutes ago, RichS said:

Thanks for all the replies, I've made an offer so we'll see what happens. I also checked that they will supply a VAT receipt.

Also following on from @Nickfromwales earlier advice I've managed to pick up a pipe de-coiler for £70.00.

You could have bought @Onoff's home-made onefor £50 lol. 

26 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Is underfloor pipe more flexible than normal plastic pipe?

No, that's the beauty of it. It's got memory because of the aluminium layers, so doesn't come off the coil like an angry spring and tangle up like pert or speedfit does. 

Speedfit have finally cottened on to nobody sane wanting to buy / use their stupid springy unmanageable pipe so now have produced a range called 'lay flat' which is easier to work with ( 15mm though ). I still don't choose speedfit as I don't like the fittings, utter crap compared to Hepworth. 

• Like 1

Just to confirm.  15mm hep20 will not fit on this pipe.  just tried for research purposes. 

I have some left over.  i will find out how much if you need any half rolls as length is marked on pipe. 

just checked i have a 20m length and a 77m length left

Edited by dogman

3 minutes ago, dogman said:

Just to confirm.  15mm hep20 will not fit on this pipe.  just tried for research purposes. 

Definitely NOT.  One is 16mm and the other 15mm OD. Enough difference for the fittings to go bang.