A Robust Non-Gas Heating / Water System for Rentals

Ferdinand

45 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Depends on how even the temperatures are around you. 

Yep. As my feet are not only furthermost from the radiator but also the the closest to the cold of the floor and the external wall, they get very cold. Even though the face is not far from the 2G window it is never that bad. 

46 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

The solid concrete floor of our old house has no insulation, and if you stand around for a while, or sit with your feet on the floor, it doesn't take long for your feet to feel cold.  I tested this out with a 50mm thick offcut of PIR foam, that I put on the floor under my desk, to rest my feet on.  It makes a very significant difference to how my feet feel!

This is exactly what we have. I will look around for some PIR, this trick may take me through this winter! ? Thanks! 

In the long run, even though it is expensive, replacing the slab is the way to go for us. 

On 04/12/2017 at 16:04, A_L said:

f - If that is 10000kWh/yr  for space heating and DHW then £500 energy costs implies around 5p/kWh for energy. I think given current off-peak and daytime electricity rates only an ASHP running at a COP of 3.5 or better could achieve this, with spare P.V. heating DHW to relieve the ASHP of the high temp/low COP end of the DHW.

I  now have my EPC numbers back, and the estimated energy usge for heat, light, water is actually 8283 kWh (6577 space heating, 1706 water heating) which is down from 13443 kWh (8424 space heating, 5019 water heating) = 38% less. 

The estimated cost over 3 years is down from £3537 to £1620 = 55% less, which equates to an estimated saving of £50+ per month.

Even that is not quite right because he has called it a "solid, insulated" not suspended floor, and missed out 25mm of celotex O.o, and also the PIV ventilation, so I will have to get that corrected or the record will be incorrect next time.

Ferdinand

2 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

I  now have my EPC numbers back, and the estimated energy usge for heat, light, water is actually 8283 kWh (6577 space heating, 1706 water heating) which is down from 13443 kWh (8424 space heating, 5019 water heating) = 38% less. 

The estimated cost over 3 years is down from £3537 to £1620 = 55% less, which equates to an estimated saving of £50+ per month.

- The previous hot water, 5019kWh is unusually high, what happened to reduce it so dramatically?

- In case you missed it I made some comments on floor insulation savings on page 1.

• 4 years later...

On 13/12/2017 at 09:45, Ferdinand said:

- The previous hot water, 5019kWh is unusually high, what happened to reduce it so dramatically?

- In case you missed it I made some comments on floor insulation savings on page 1.

Did not answer this when we did this thread first time around.

I don't know what reduced the projected water heating amount so seriously, except that it had a copper tank system and went to a brand new combi.