Adding radiators without hiding pipework

Tennentslager

@Nickfromwales might help me out.

Is it possible to add 3/4 radiators to an existing electric boiler set up.

28Kw boiler and 4 small radiators in the big front office.

IMG_20171128_144741617.thumb.jpg.5d9e4f5cb3737bbe0dad2daa7b60a5ad.jpg

Three vertical ones and this towel rail thingy, it used to be a hairdresser.

In the back there's 3 small rooms and a kitchen but with electric panel heaters which I guess are going to be very expensive to run.

I've a small window of time to improve this...could insulated (or coated) microbore pipe be used to connect up some wet radiators.

Don't really want to disrupt the nice floor and wondered if you could clip the microbore to or just above the skirting?

It's a back office so doesn't have to look brilliant but not Uber shabby either?

What do you think?

Just run above the skirting and use Talon clips. They have lugs on the side to hold Talon trunking ( 10 / 15 / 22mm ) and just cut mitres. 

Tbh I'd just surface mount 15mm pipework and paint them, acceptable in most homes so ok for an office ;)

Go to a few local plumbers merchants and ask for damages return radiators. I just bought 4 med /large radiators for £45. Tiny scratches / dents on side panels, hardly noticeable when fitted. ?

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/12/2017 at 07:27, Nickfromwales said:

Just run above the skirting and use Talon clips. They have lugs on the side to hold Talon trunking ( 10 / 15 / 22mm ) and just cut mitres. 

Tbh I'd just surface mount 15mm pipework and paint them, acceptable in most homes so ok for an office ;)

Go to a few local plumbers merchants and ask for damages return radiators. I just bought 4 med /large radiators for £45. Tiny scratches / dents on side panels, hardly noticeable when fitted. ?

Great advice @Nickfromwales which I've followed.

Went to Garscube industrial estate in Glasgow as they have three plumbers merchants close to each other.

Young Callum at Plumbworld gave me a small double radiator for free and insisted on carrying it to the car too!

Graham's had nothing but phoned another branch who unfortunately had just sent a 4 year pile to the scrap merchant.

Next up was PlumbCentre who gave me a huge double for 20 quid, nice fella said he'd give it away but company policy requires an audit trail.

Result, and for all the poor experience's buildhubbers are having, remember this, people are generally nice, kind and helpful.

I told folk it was a charity job and like, their chance to do a mini DIY SOS but without the publicity. Was met with a huge smile and you're welcome.

Few guys in the merchant queue commented too, well done son, you don't ask, you don't get and do on.

Nice experience pre Christmas and saved £160 for a couple of hours driving around.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Tennentslager said:

Great advice @Nickfromwales which I've followed.

Went to Garscube industrial estate in Glasgow as they have three plumbers merchants close to each other.

Young Callum at Plumbworld gave me a small double radiator for free and insisted on carrying it to the car too!

Graham's had nothing but phoned another branch who unfortunately had just sent a 4 year pile to the scrap merchant.

Next up was PlumbCentre who gave me a huge double for 20 quid, nice fella said he'd give it away but company policy requires an audit trail.

Result, and for all the poor experience's buildhubbers are having, remember this, people are generally nice, kind and helpful.

I told folk it was a charity job and like, their chance to do a mini DIY SOS but without the publicity. Was met with a huge smile and you're welcome.

Few guys in the merchant queue commented too, well done son, you don't ask, you don't get and do on.

Nice experience pre Christmas and saved £160 for a couple of hours driving around.

That's the way !  ?

Result ?

@Nickfromwales

Can you see anything wrong with this?

The two new radiators were added to the back shop and system repressurised but only the two rads on the right of the picture are heated?

What have I done wrong?

Prior to adding the two new rads all four in the front office were hot.

IMG_20171223_164337819.thumb.jpg.d9d174222838bed2db397d1b43fc1b75.jpg

Edited by Tennentslager

I'll get some pics after the holidays @Nickfromwales

I got a plumber ( dope smoking Dave) to do it but he's scratching his head at why it's not working. 

I think my drawing might be wrong and they are connected in parallel. He found the flow and return pipes in the loft and teed off these to the new radiators but as I say only two now have heat.

Could it be anything about balancing or commissioning the system?

17 minutes ago, Tennentslager said:

I'll get some pics after the holidays @Nickfromwales

I got a plumber ( dope smoking Dave) to do it but he's scratching his head at why it's not working. 

I think my drawing might be wrong and they are connected in parallel. He found the flow and return pipes in the loft and teed off these to the new radiators but as I say only two now have heat.

Could it be anything about balancing or commissioning the system?

Simple fix will be turn off the ones that work as their probably bypassing and stopping the pump from pushing the air locks out. ;). If there are no automatic air vents in the attic then there's your problem as air is getting trapped there.