Loft insulation

Lesgrandepotato

34 minutes ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

Before I buy 300mm of knauf loftwool and lay it in is there anything I should be doing instead? It’s a fairly regular 70’s house heavily renovated. Not terribly high performance but should meet current BR standards! 

It's usually recommended to get any existing wiring above the new insulation

Depends how much you need. Wickes have it on 3 for 2 at the moment so you can get Knauf 170mm Standard Top Up Loft Roll Insulation for £16.66 a roll and then take off 15% with BLACK15 for the next few days. Makes it £2.30sqm or £4.60 if you go for 340mm

9 hours ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

Before I buy 300mm of knauf loftwool and lay it in is there anything I should be doing instead? It’s a fairly regular 70’s house heavily renovated. Not terribly high performance but should meet current BR standards! 

Before I did my latest but one we did an Osb pathway / platform to the boiler under the top layer to help gas engineers, and insulated the pipes up there.

Also what is your current insulation level?

Under 100mm ( or if you reduce it) and you can probably get it done free. Guess where the rockwool under the floor of the LBB came from.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

Good call Ferdinand. We currently have no insulation at all...

The technique is to talk to the EST helpline, and ask for your local organisation involved.

0300 123 1234

There may be some wrinkles around new build vs conversion, occupation etc. You need to check.

For rentals iirc I have to have a tenant in situ before I can get it done, but once you ask them it is an inspection then install within a few days. They work quickly, so if eg you have gables that are walled off that you want insulating then make them accessible before the survey. When I had the Little Red House I just mentioned on the other thread done, they were in and out within 20 minutes. I last had one of these at this time in 2016.

Given that your building is idiosyncratic, I am not sure how it will pan out.

If you can update us with your experience that would be great.

F

• 2 weeks later...