57 minutes ago, richi said:

Shouldn't be necessary. As I understand it, the £100 minimum is for the entire transaction, so you could in principle charge just a penny card deposit.

However, #IANAL.

I believe you have to put at least £100 of the transaction on the C/C to be covered, but the total transaction is covered up to 30k

29 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

This is one of those grey areas (in my mind). The £100 to £30k applies to a single item purchased under a credit agreement. If the credit card portion is less than £100 would it be covered? Why chance it?

Agree there.

In my case with the DG I will try and get them to pay me the deposit back, then pay the full amount via a CC to make sure I am covered.

Ferdinand

2 hours ago, ragg987 said:

This is one of those grey areas (in my mind). The £100 to £30k applies to a single item purchased under a credit agreement. If the credit card portion is less than £100 would it be covered? Why chance it?

No, you have to pay a minimum of £100 on your CC

The whole gift card thing appears to be a stroke of genius, I can also purchase gift cards at a discounted rate through work. £10k worth of wickes vouchers for £9k would definitely be useful, topped off with their trade card!

Im assuming receipts will still be provided as per usual and ok for VAT purposes when purchasing with a gift card?

48 minutes ago, Grosey said:

Just found this link, it appears to be a website geared towards Wickes staff to sign up customers when they are in store. 

Still, I've just put an application in for myself so let's see what happens, easy way to avoid having to convince someone you are in the trade?

http://www.wickestradeoffers.co.uk

I just asked at the counter :-) .

With Gift cards you do need to do your homework, because there are sometimes limitations etc. I think that they are really an application in search of a reason to exist.

There used to be fee-free gift cards and some people round tripped them - buy card, get points, pay into an account (classically Amazon) or recycle via ebay to the tune of hundreds of cards a year.

Employee discounts are good if you have access.

Ferdinand

1 hour ago, richi said:

[citation needed]

The article you quote yoruself above includes the following quote:

Therefore if you want protection…

As long as it costs more than £100, pay for even a fraction on a credit card and you're protected.

Here's a Section 75 deposit-only success story to give you some inspiration...

I ordered and paid £15,991 in full for a new car but before I took delivery, the trader went into liquidation.

Thankfully I had paid the first £100 deposit on my Barclaycard credit card. So I made a Section 75 claim. It took six months, but this week I received a credit to my card of the whole amount, just from having paid the first £100 on my card

http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/section75-protect-your-purchases

The first phrase may sound ambiguous, but even if some argue, it is not much of an imposition to pay a £100 deposit on a CC.

Ferdinand

4 hours ago, richi said:

I say again: The total needs to be above £100, not the CC deposit.

(This is my final word on the subject, unless someone offers a credible source that says otherwise.)

I need a convincing citation for the 'total' interpretation, since the one you supplied is ambiguous, Richi.

But probably not worth it unless someone is going to go back to the Statutory Instrument or Law. I won't be.

Far easier just to pay the first £100 on a Credit Card for belt and braces.

F

Hey, feel free to put the entire cost on the card. Alternatively:

75. — (1) If the debtor under a debtor-creditor-supplier agreement falling within section 12(b) or (c) has, in relation to a transaction financed by the agreement, any claim against the supplier in respect of a misrepresentation or breach of contract, he shall have a like claim against the creditor, who, with the supplier, shall accordingly be jointly and severally liable to the debtor.

(3) Sub-section (1) does not apply to a claim: ... (b) so far as the claim relates to a single item to which the supplier has attached a cash price not exceeding £100 or more than £30,000, ...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Stones said:

That assumes you have a large enough credit limit for all the purchases you want to make ;)

That is fixable, for example by paying a credit balance onto the card account.

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Halifax have eliminated the reward on our credit card so I'm looking for a new one. Liked the fact it was a simple £5 per month each for the wife and I on around £1000 spend and our normal bank. 

Need to get new cards and find the most effective reward for us. Most schemes too convoluted now and a grand is not really enough spend for them.

more research required.

We have a John Lewis partnership card - 0.5% cash back (1% in store) as vouchers - built up a nice pot to treat ourselves to a few bits post completion. Like, for example, a new set of pots and pans after just discovering that the old ones wont work with the new induction hob - physics, eh? :)

• 2 months later...

This is American Express Shop Small week.

What that means is that if you have an Amex Card (except TSB), and register the card on the Amex website with the offer, you will get £5 back for every £10 you spend at participating shops. There are a lot of participating shops.

There are more details over at Head for Points:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/12/03/amex-shop-small-starts-today-get-5-back-on-every-10-purchase/

This *can* be really sweated if you make a small purchase on each of your umpteen Amex cards at each shop, but that is probably for rabid points collectors (*) rather than most of us. Personally I have only 3 Amex cards, so I will just put a bit of effort in for the fun of it.

Ferdinand

(*) eg

" I just used 10 cards to pay the bill in an Italian restaurant. The patrone was a bit dubious, but ended up using two machines simultaneously. I have arranged to use all 16 at the wine shop tomorrow before going home. "

(Wine shops sound like a good option).

Edited by Ferdinand

1 minute ago, Ferdinand said:

Personally I have only 3 Amex cards, so I will just put a bit of effort in for the fun of it.

Pleased you've kept it to only 3.  Many more than that might be considered excessive! O.o

2 minutes ago, jack said:

Pleased you've kept it to only 3.  Many more than that might be considered excessive! O.o

Keen people have supplementary cards for all their family members and get perhaps £50 of Amex point for each one they take out. If you have eg an Amex Platignum one person gets all the benefits etc, which are worth hundreds.

See my added PS,

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Who is paying for all these great offers on using cards?

I have a standard bank account (I can change to another but never change back), seems simple.  No fees (unless overdrawn), pay money in, pay money out.

The same people who pay for your 'free' banking service.

everybody else.

13 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

This is American Express Shop Small week.

What that means is that if you have an Amex Card (except TSB), and register the card on the Amex website with the offer, you will get £5 back for every £10 you spend at participating shops. There are a lot of participating shops.

There are more details over at Head for Points:

http://www.headforpoints.com/2016/12/03/amex-shop-small-starts-today-get-5-back-on-every-10-purchase/

This *can* be really sweated if you make a small purchase on each of your umpteen Amex cards at each shop, but that is probably for rabid points collectors (*) rather than most of us. Personally I have only 3 Amex cards, so I will just put a bit of effort in for the fun of it.

Ferdinand

(*) eg

" I just used 10 cards to pay the bill in an Italian restaurant. The patrone was a bit dubious, but ended up using two machines simultaneously. I have arranged to use all 16 at the wine shop tomorrow before going home. "

(Wine shops sound like a good option).

I have just signed up for a

platinum everyday card (or whatever it is called). Just the one to start with.

although you sound an ideal source of matched betting gnomes ?