Need a replacement to O2 s TU WiFi call app

ProDave

Samsung S3 something Android phone.

Mobile signal is poor at home so have been using O2's "TU" app that connects over wifi to our broadband to make and receive calls and such calls are included in the phone package.

The TU app is being discontinued today

O2 say many phones have this feature built in now, but the S3 does not.

All they can say us "use a third party app, search the play store."

Have searched and can't find.

So anyone know an android app that will allow the making and receiving of calls over wifi?

Thanks.

I don’t think there is anything that works in the same way as TU Go, google have google voice but I think that is limited to certain networks in the US only. What’s app is great for calling on but it only works if other people have the app installed and you can’ call general numbers. 

Have you rung your network provider for a repeater / booster ? 

I rang EE and told them I was leaving them as I couldn't get a signal in our stone house. The guy offered me a free box that plugs into the BB router and away to go. 

It should have been £100 but they "kindly" waived that ( which I told them was a good idea as I wasn't parting with any more cash, so if it wasn't free I wasn't staying ). 

Went from having to stand by the doors or windows to make / answer a call to 5 bars of 3G throughout the house, 4 in the attic. 

It drops out every now and then but generally works very well. 

That link @dogman seems to suggest there is no app that replaces TU, and you can only get that full functionality if your PHONE supports wifi calling. Although SWMBO has a new phone, it does not have that feature.

I believe she is going into the O2 shop today to "discuss" the issue with them.

Dave, this isn't a free option, but Skype has a service called Skype-out which allows you to call any landline pretty much anywhere in the world for 1-2p/min.  My mob has pretty crappy reception in our old farmhouse, and I am still running a crappy BT Infinity contract.  I refuse to pay the uplift for BT Anytime, since the amount of landline calls that I do outside weekends is tiny.  Skype-out gives me quality call from my mobile for a lot less.

And both Skype and WhatsApp give free VoIP calls and video so long as the other user has the same.

Okay, sorted at the O2 shop.

They published a list of phones that support inbuilt wifi calling. Her phone was not on the list. Hence we thought it was not going to work.

But her phone DOES support it, the list is wrong. So the people in the shop showed her how to enable it so it should all be back to normal.