Security Fencing - Need a Gate? And what about the wind?

First post... just realised my 'handle' makes me sound like I'm a from a solicitor's practice... sorry not the case so hold off on those legal queries :-) . Am in the very early stages of our self build project and just researching. (We have found a plot but are currently going through the conveyancing process so fingers crossed.) 

After initially becoming completely overwhelmed (witness the state of my office!)... am now trying to 'chunk' things up into bite size pieces... sounds easy right?

Security fencing... I only require a modest amount (20-25m or so) and from my initial research it seems a no-brainer to purchase some second hand... I can see Ebay has a wide selection and you can get a (Heras style) panel, clip and foot for about £20 each. (I don't anticipate a speedy build and want my costs defined as far as poss.)

Question I have for the more experienced out there is would I need a gate to get in/off site or do peeps usually just move the fencing out of the supports. Also... does this stuff stay-up pretty well in a bit of wind. I've seen support mechanisms out there but think this may be going over the top and additionally will take up more space and provide something else to trip over.

Thanks in advance for any shared experience in this area.

No gate needed, just pull a bracket or two off and open up a couple of panels each morning. You'll be re-configuring them all the time depending on what you have going on on site any particular day.

A straight line of panels tips easy, so not good in wind. If you have to have them straight then an extra couple of panels at 90 degrees to the main fence will stop it tipping.

...Welcome to the forum.

Edited by IanR

Easiest way (and forgive the sketch...) is to make a pair of L shapes into your site entrance, this allows you to stop the fences being pushed over and dependent on site space you can either open inwards into site so you can park off the road to open up, or on a tight site you can open the floating panel outwards. 

A simple motorbike lock and chain is good for security. 

B555B105-2631-4393-85F9-633FA7207288.jpeg.6a4a582244d8f45a6222ba2e78a2503b.jpeg 

Use heavy gauge plastic ties to link the panels: quick snip and the jobs done. Cost far less than the clips. Quick to replace too.

What are you going to do when the wild wind blows? Who / what will be endangered by a blown over panel?

HERAS feet can be anchored any way you like, and since its windy here, I tie them to my digger or Land Rover or 'moor' them to a tonne bag of sand (or a mixture of all three) when its really blowy and put sand bags on the rest of the feet.

Since I suffer from Great Crested Newts I also attach the TAF to the HERAS

3 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Use heavy gauge plastic ties to link the panel

Or you can get continuous stainless steel strapping which you can cut and bold together with M4s or M6s on the secure side. Then anyone trying to remove these will need decent tin snips, a bolt cropper or 5 mins with a hacksaw rather than a quick snap with small and easily pocketable side-cut pliers.

I had a run of the solid panels and they were always blowing over, even with the braces securing them to weighed down scaff planks, so avoid those like the plague.

The heras mesh type was not as bad but did blow over now and again. 

I managed to source second hand Heras fence panels, complete with clamps and bases, for £15 each from the local hire firm, including delivery.  They periodically have a clear out of the ones that are a bit tatty, have splashes of paint of concrete on.  When I finished the build, I sold the panels for exactly the same as I paid for them, with the bonus that the person who bought them took them down and carted them away, included in the price.

The clamps are the weak point, and I added ropes and cable ties to make them more secure.  I also did the L shaped trick to make an entrance, with two panels hinged on clamps and some wire wrapped around to stop the clamps coming too loose.  I secured the gate with a bit of heavy anchor chain and big padlock.

Even in our sheltered location the fence did need bracing.  I roped it to a couple of phone poles and also drove some angled stakes into the ground and tied those to the panels.  I found that you do need to go around checking the clamps, as the fence does get moved from time to time and the clamps come loose, or go missing.  I did buy a box of spare clamps and bolts as we lost quite a few over the course of a couple of years.

Edited by JSHarris