Dry Ice Blasting - Practical exprience.

Roger440

As per the title, does anyone here have any practical experience of dry ice blasting?

Im looking at using it for the old part of the house. Got lots of beams that have multiple layers of black paint in, grubby brick work round the fireplace, and, possbly a bit hopeful, modern paint on my nice lime render, which ideally id like t get off without stripping off the render.

It seems like the obvious answer, but real world expeience is hard to come by.

As i a) dont trust anyone, b) cant find tradespeope, id probably hire or buy to do myself. (and move it on when finished with it)

Seen soda blasting done on car panels/shells...really common in the US as they have a ready market for the waste on the railways (keeps the weeds down). Our railways won't buy it.

Edited by Onoff

12 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

I had never heard of it until earlier this year when they had the beams cleaned in a cottage down the road. Much less mess than sand blasting and doesn't raise the grain.

Thanks Peter. Seen Arctic.

Did you get to see the actual finished result?

41 minutes ago, Roger440 said:

Indeed. But i reckon de-commisioning my wood burner will be my contribution to balancing the harm i do!

most dry ice is manufactured as a by-product of the liquid air companies and is a short lived product so you're not really balancing anything meaningful !!

On 30/11/2017 at 09:40, SteamyTea said:

Great way to release stored CO2 !

Nick, it's a waste product from processes like cement making.  They've got no way of capturing it at the moment, so it's going to end up in the atmosphere anyway.  Using it as an abrasive in lieu of sand doesn't add to the atmospheric burden.