Vaulted ceiling height

Evening a bit random, I wanted people's views on their vaulted ceiling height, we are having a bit of a replan and after taking some dimensions of our drawings it seems that our vaulted ceiling height at the highest point is about 5m. To me this seems huge, I don't want it to feel like I'm sitting in an aircraft hanger. 

Anybody have any thoughts. 

We're planning on 4.8m at the peak, pitch starts at 2.5 and it spans across 6m. Like Peter we'll divide this into smaller rooms in some of which there'll be mezzanines. Both of these ought to help with the scale

We've got around a 5.5m internal ridge height on a couple of rooms. One is within a larger open plan area, but the area with the vaulted ceiling is around 7m x 6m and this is a great space, each of the walls around it is broken up by either a double-height window, an internal flip-fold door opening or a full height false wall with recess for the TV etc.

The other room is in the centre of the house and is around 6m x 5.5m with roof lights above to let natural light in. When first decorated and with all internal doors shut this did take on the form of a squash court, which I feel was down to having little to break up the plain walls between the top of standard height doors  and the vaulted ceilings. We'd already seen this with early rendering I did of the space during the design phase so had planned up/down lighters on the walls just a bit above the top of door height and an over-sized book case on one of the walls, plus a few pieces of appropriate artwork (still) to be hung in the elevated area. Breaking up the big expanse of flat walls was key to making this a very interesting space.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JamesP said:

What are the room dimensions and eaves height?

The main room is 8m x 7.5 it contains the sitting room and a dining area, height to the top peak outside is 5.7 so allowing 400mm for roof build up, I'm also thinking of having a 300mm service zone on the underside of the roof as I have so much height. 

So highest point to underside of ceiling will be about 5m. 

7 hours ago, IanR said:

When first decorated and with all internal doors shut this did take on the form of a squash court,

??

you hit the nail on the head, we have a computer generated image that you can scroll inside, and that's exactly what it looks like, I think it's because the walls are white in the plans so looks very tall. 

Our sitting room has a 4.2m high vaulted ceiling with a glazed gable end. The window frame accentuates the height because it's grey compared to the white walls. In the main bedroom the vaulted ceiling is a similar height but the walls and ceiling are all white and the height is much less noticeable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

The main room is 8m x 7.5 it contains the sitting room and a dining area, height to the top peak outside is 5.7 so allowing 400mm for roof build up, I'm also thinking of having a 300mm service zone on the underside of the roof as I have so much height. 

The room is not especially large for self-build, but you could split the vaulted ceiling into two reflecting the areas to bring it down a little if you need.

Ferdinand

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

I am also using the underside of the pitch below the the roof build up to run MVHR and will have a curved ceiling which reduces the impact of the height of a vaulted ceiling.

23 minutes ago, AliMcLeod said:

Just wondering what you guys use to access the ceiling areas (eg, painting, access to velux etc). Do you have really tall (platform) ladders or has anyone invested in a domestic/internal scaffolding system?

As above, just my Kwikstage scaffold.

When I am done, I will be keeping some of it. I will probably wire brush and paint one set and keep them stored dry for "inside use" and keep some offcuts of carpet to stand the feet on.

3 hours ago, AliMcLeod said:

Just wondering what you guys use to access the ceiling areas (eg, painting, access to velux etc). Do you have really tall (platform) ladders or has anyone invested in a domestic/internal scaffolding system?

I just use my scaffold tower. Wendy wheeled it along metre by metre with me sitting on top when I was working on the ceiling.