Looking for a hinged wet room glass shower screen

ProDave

Our main bathroom will be a wet room.

The ladies have just decided the layout needs to change which has presented me with a challenge.

The new layout will put the bath and shower next to each other.  A fixed glass screen alongside the shower area will create 2 issues, poor access to one end of the bath at floor level for cleaning, and insufficient "activity space" alongside the bath (Scottish building regs for accessible bathrooms)

A solution would be a hinged shower screen. But I can't find one.

It needs to be full height (no more than 2 metres) and about 900mm wide.

It needs to be entirely supported on hinges that fix to the wall.

The bottom should not touch the floor though I would accept a rubber strip or similar.

It will be completely free at the other end, i.e. it will not close onto a frame.  So friction hinges so it stays where you put it?

The problem is I can't find one that does not expect to close into a frame. This just literally needs to be a piece of plain toughened class mounted on 2 hinges.

I got fully floating bofolds ( shown in that pic I posted where the shower is 45'vd into the corner and a bifold either side which close to make the enclosure ) from Novalleni ( spelling :S could be e not a ). Rise and fall hinges so they stay folded or fall from 45o to the open position and pretty much stay there. 

We have something very similar. Hinged glass panel closing to (but not touching) a fixed glass panel.

image.thumb.png.6e00028d7b1bea36318b0c6903c35e37.png

Hung on two of these:

image.thumb.png.ce301f6c7326c983368e178bfb820c2c.png

with a plastic strip fixed to glass that seals against wall

Not touching the floor or side glass

image.thumb.png.b7895fcce27496711d5a1a2d59112fbb.png

We've got a very good local glaziers in Chelmsford (Ace Glass) that do this type of thing. They will make to a drawing, but not sure about shipping.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Our main bathroom will be a wet room.

The ladies have just decided the layout needs to change which has presented me with a challenge.

The new layout will put the bath and shower next to each other.  A fixed glass screen alongside the shower area will create 2 issues, poor access to one end of the bath at floor level for cleaning, and insufficient "activity space" alongside the bath (Scottish building regs for accessible bathrooms)

A solution would be a hinged shower screen. But I can't find one.

It needs to be full height (no more than 2 metres) and about 900mm wide.

It needs to be entirely supported on hinges that fix to the wall.

The bottom should not touch the floor though I would accept a rubber strip or similar.

It will be completely free at the other end, i.e. it will not close onto a frame.  So friction hinges so it stays where you put it?

The problem is I can't find one that does not expect to close into a frame. This just literally needs to be a piece of plain toughened class mounted on 2 hinges.

What is the minimum height you need, and can there be a gap - say 200mm - below, on the basis that overspray will be high not low usually?

I am wondering about tall bath screens, which have the hinge only construction.

The one I just put in was 1500mm high by 850mm.

No "off the peg" solutions as yet.

But I think a bit more searching as found what I want.  http://www.unishower.co.uk/uniclosure-900-hinged-wet-room-shower-screen.html

It mentions magnetic strips as though it's intended to be a door closing into a door frame, but the picture shows it exactly as I want it as a hinged screen next so a shower not attached to anything other than the wall.

Oh and they won't deliver to the Highlands. So that shows what I want, but they nay not be able to supply me. So keep looking folks.

11 hours ago, ProDave said:

No "off the peg" solutions as yet.

But I think a bit more searching as found what I want.  http://www.unishower.co.uk/uniclosure-900-hinged-wet-room-shower-screen.html

It mentions magnetic strips as though it's intended to be a door closing into a door frame, but the picture shows it exactly as I want it as a hinged screen next so a shower not attached to anything other than the wall.

Oh and they won't deliver to the Highlands. So that shows what I want, but they nay not be able to supply me. So keep looking folks.

Ring them and arrange your own courier?

The problem you may find with using your own hinges and finding glass locally is a lot of these need cut outs in the glass. 

We had one where we found some really nice hinges but the cut out was so complex the local glass supplier said he couldn’t do it and couldn’t guarantee the shapes. 

I’ve used these people before for glass hardware - very good and quick delivery. They do a wall profile for 6mm glass that would mean you could get your own cut and polished / tempered locally as it works with plain glass. Beware anyone saying you can just clamp 8/10mm glass that tall without holes to retain it ..!!!

https://www.kerolhardware.co.uk/wall-mounted-shower-door-hinges/alluminium-pivot-hinge-for-6mm-glass-shower-door-no-drilling.html

• 4 months later...

I am re visiting this as I am getting close to ordering.

The two local glazing companies both claim to supply bespoke toughened glass and cite shower screens as an example so I will be speaking to both of them.

These look good for the hinges, just 2 holes in the glass needed per hinge, no complicated cuts. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Di-Vapor-R-180-Degree-Wall-Mounted-Shower-Door-Glass-Hinge-Chrome-Plated-Pin/122969345040?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

The questions are what thickness glass?  6mm I think would look and feel flimsy. Thinking of perhaps 8mm but how much would that weigh?

And how many hinges? 3 or 4?