Onsite Crushing

Triassic

I was chatting to my builder about this recently and for a project he is currently working on, has used a 360 excavator fitted with a crushing bucket to deal with concrete and stone that was dug up.  He said it worked out under £4 per ton to get it crushed down and ready for reuse round the site.  No disposal costs and no haulage costs for bringing new aggregate in.

Edited by Stones
typos

I am thinking the exact same thing I have 3 concrete slabs to remove. 

Things I have thought of. 

What will I use the resulting product for? 

I think for under a raft slab or foundations of any sort the finished product would not meet the spec that was needed to satisfy bc. 

So it would only be good for under driveways or to keep the area around the house clean or to build up under patios etc. 

Easy questions to answer

how much will it cost to get rid of what you have?

how much crushed brick hardcore will you need?  

How much will a crusher cost?

2 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Do you have any contacts for the crusher bucket hire?

You need to look local for this as transport will kill it, you also need an excavator to run it, yourstandard self builder mini digger won't do it. 

Ive excavated around 800 tonnes of limestone and have the space to loose most of it. I had in mind to crush around 200 tonnes to use to level up the site prior to putting down a layer of soil and then grass. The rest I’d use under patios and pathways. I’m based in the South Lakes, so any recommendations in that area would be welcome. 

Edited by Triassic

I remember looking into this early on in our build process (2015). Micro crushers were £150/day and £450 for the week but I was warned that they could get clogged easily if over fed - also the cement blocks used in our garage would go to powder and risk more clogging.  I think a large crusher was about £750 for the week.

We dis use a crushing company.

They supply the operator crusher and the digger with a special bucket to remove any soil or dust as it blocks the machine. I would not do it myself as the machines are a bit of a dark art.

If you need to bring in hard core you will save money crushing your own

I would suggest you speak with the operator first and agree that they run the stone through the machine twice. Its a lot quicker that trying to crush it down small in the first run. 

We went for the red rhino.

Try to keep your rubble as clean as possible. It can cope with mortar but not soil

its fun watching it but it is a bit loud

• Like 1

We crushed the old house. (3 bed detached Brick and block). I used my ground works guy (effectively a man and digger!!) and hired in a crusher. We had to use a small unit due to access issues.

Ours coped fine with soil, no issues at all but it was dry and stoned, I would imagine clays would be another story.

Crusher cost me £1,200 for the week. 

I never worked out exactly how many tonnes we had but it was ALOT! 

Total cost of demolition and crushing was £5k.

Just to reiterate what @dogman said. They are bloody noisy! 

Heres a picture of a 20t digger sat on our hardcore pile.

CDE87A59-E8C8-49AE-ABAB-73344CA64CFF.thumb.jpeg.3f8c8228b7166413b1ebd4bc94efaaaf.jpeg

Edited by Barney12