Which CCTV system?

So with site clearance started, I need to buy a site security CCTV system. Having looked at various systems and specifications I find it all a bit confusing, so Can anyone recommend a decent system? Ideally one that records to a hard drive and has an email alert built in.

There are tons, what's your budget? You probably need nighttime capability also. I put in 4 x 8MP Hikvision cameras and an 8 port digital video recorder with two hard drives recently. About 1.5K all told. Some cameras have a memory card slot that is fine for short term recording so that makes it even cheaper as you don't need a DVR unless you have a lot of cameras and want to keep a lot of footage! The email alerting is standard with both but can be very "noisy" even when you select an area of interest. Clouds, cats and rain on the lens can affect the number of false alarms. A single outdoor rated camera with a memory card and power supply can be hooked into your broadband router via a cable or you can get wireless versions if that's easier. 

There's a lot of terms and options alright but I'll PM you what I bought as a reference and see if that helps you look for something in your price range.

Note: I started with two cheap dlink indoor cameras which could send email alerts and I could access via my phone which was brilliant. Just needed power as they work over Wifi. 

I have a Hikvision system, but based on some other users recommendation i bought a 4mp reolink PTZ camera. Ith as its issues but the image at night is top notch. The software is not as fussy as Hikvision as it only allows streaming not playback

If you just want a camera to view try https://reolink.com/product/rlc-423/

As a system for your home after the build i would recommend Hikvision. the DVR?Nvr are good quality and will work  with most cameras with ONVIF protocol

I went with HikVision also, have no experience of other brands so can't compare, but price was good, functionality is excellent, and installation is plug-n-play. I would definitely go with IP Camera and NVR, rather than analogue and DVR.

Specifically, I went with their NVR  DS-7716NI-K4/16P. This one has an integrated 16 port PoE Switch which makes the camera configuration very easy, it's also available with an integrated 8 port PoE Switch instead of the 16, or as a 32 channel NVR instead of 16, although you'd need a standalone PoE switch for the other 16 cameras as the don't do an integrated 32 port PoE Switch.

I used mostly bullet cameras outside, but 1 dome under my porch. The bullets I went with were DS-2CD2T55FWD-I8 . They've got long-range IR which are claimed for 80m, but I'd say they're very good for 50m.

Before specing the cameras I'd suggest drawing out a plan of the areas you want to cover and make sure you get the right lens size for the field-of-view you need.

With regards motion detection, as mentioned above don't expect any system using changing pixels within the image to detect motion to be very robust. You'll get a lot of false positives on external cameras. Luckily the HikVision NVR accepts incoming alarms and you can set up actions on these so you can use a 3rd party PIR to send a signal to the NVR to then send you a notification and some pics of what just happened. We use the same PIRs that switch on the external lights to send alarms to the NVR.

Edited by IanR

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

My build starts this week. So I need to actually buy the CCTV system.

Has CCTV technology changed/ moved on, in the last 14 months?

i see lots of ads for stand alone, plug in, WiFi cameras linked to apps. Are they any good?

Edited by Triassic

• 2 months later...
On 15/01/2019 at 18:23, Triassic said:

My build starts this week. So I need to actually buy the CCTV system.

Has CCTV technology changed/ moved on, in the last 14 months?

i see lots of ads for stand alone, plug in, WiFi cameras linked to apps. Are they any good?

All these "connected" cameras/ apps have come quite a long way. 

We have a hard wired Hikvision IP system (running on CAT 6) along side a Ring doorbell. The Ring is great for general doorbell/ motion alerts at scheduled times and the Hikvision system provides a great overall perimeter system.

• 3 months later...

As per alarm Q.

wireless and DIY capable. (Plus easy software setup. No setting Linux on an old toaster and run through your home network to a cheap server in Timbuktu through 26 VPN’s.)

Current recommendations?

Edited by daiking

1 hour ago, daiking said:

As per alarm Q.

wireless and DIY capable. (Plus easy software setup. No setting Linux on an old toaster and run through your home network to a cheap server in Timbuktu through 26 VPN’s.)

Current recommendations?

HikVision have wireless cameras, still need a decent power cable. Once you've run power you may as well go for POE cameras as you get power and comms on the same wire, and no issues if your wifi router fails.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, daiking said:

As per alarm Q.

Current recommendations?

I don't know what your wireless setup is, but if you have Ubiquiti, they do an interesting line of wireless cameras that work well with their wireless access points and switches. I want to stay away from proprietary solutions, but will still be doing some more digging into this.

33 minutes ago, PeterW said:

HikVision have wireless cameras, still need a decent power cable. Once you've run power you may as well go for POE cameras as you get power and comms on the same wire, and no issues if your wifi router fails.

I have POE ccctv system with HikVision cameras.  Can view on phone, ipad etc......they are nice to watch the wildlife in the field too.

Ok, so may as well look at a POE system. Getting power to locations is probably no easier.

The POE stuff, do the cables terminate in a crimped plug? or do you individually wire strands into the camera?

Or are they supplied with a fixed length lead that plugs into your box that does the work?

23 minutes ago, daiking said:

The POE stuff, do the cables terminate in a crimped plug? or do you individually wire strands into the camera?

Use a standard Cat5E cable, which you can buy from eBuyer or CPC in varying lengths so you don't need to crimp any terminals. They then plug into a waterproof connector attached to the camera.

28 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Use a standard Cat5E cable, which you can buy from eBuyer or CPC in varying lengths so you don't need to crimp any terminals. They then plug into a waterproof connector attached to the camera.

Whats the recommended min spec on cameras now? 1080P? 4K? I think 4 cameras would give me enough coverage but I'd probably want an 8 channel box for future additions.

Site plan is still as this one here except I now have a 6 foot gate. Even so its easily scaled. So, 1) front, 2) rear return to patio doors, 3  & 4) to cover the garden and approach to the house (bifold, back door and windows)

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, daiking said:

Whats the recommended min spec on cameras now? 1080P? 4K? I think 4 cameras would give me enough coverage but I'd probably want an 8 channel box for future additions.

Site plan is still as this one here except I now have a 6 foot gate. Even so its easily scaled. So, 1) front, 2) rear return to patio doors, 3  & 4) to cover the garden and approach to the house (bifold, back door and windows)

Not sure i’d Worry about 4K . Your problem will be viewing remotely at 1fps ?

i prefer ‘medium’ res 1024 x 800 or similar at 4 FPS 

Edited by pocster

Ours runs at 1080P and is plenty good enough, in my view.  I also think that CCTV is far more useful than an alarm system, simply because most people just seem to ignore alarms when they go off now.

They only thing I'd think about is adding some additional IR illuminators, that auto switch on at night.  The IR LEDs in the cameras aren't great, and adding additional IR illumination makes a big difference to the night time image quality.

2 hours ago, JSHarris said:

Ours runs at 1080P and is plenty good enough, in my view.  I also think that CCTV is far more useful than an alarm system, simply because most people just seem to ignore alarms when they go off now.

They only thing I'd think about is adding some additional IR illuminators, that auto switch on at night.  The IR LEDs in the cameras aren't great, and adding additional IR illumination makes a big difference to the night time image quality.

Or use 940nm lighting ir leds 

No visible red glow but range less .

Depends if you want to deter or catch !

Edited by pocster

9 hours ago, PeterW said:

I ended up making my cables and put the connector in a small plastic box fixed under the eaves.

On 18/07/2019 at 15:26, JSHarris said:

Not according to Merseyside police. We had a recent break in and the sergeant said the complete opposite. He also said that unless you have a 100% facial they will not act on cctv footage as money and time is very tight. CCTV will not deter a scrote, they wear hoods and or a scarf around the face as many of the bike riding, north face wearing kids around here do.

I agree though, people will ignore an alarm but around here you will get an angry neighbour knocking to complain about the noise rather than to see if you are okay. A lot of alarms now ring out to tell you of an activation too.

First recommendation was a big dog and second was a decent alarm system and loads of lighting at night time. CCTV came third or is that fourth?

21 minutes ago, SiBee said:

Not according to Merseyside police. We had a recent break in and the sergeant said the complete opposite. He also said that unless you have a 100% facial they will not act on cctv footage as money and time is very tight. CCTV will not deter a scrote, they wear hoods and or a scarf around the face as many of the bike riding, north face wearing kids around here do.

I agree though, people will ignore an alarm but around here you will get an angry neighbour knocking to complain about the noise rather than to see if you are okay. A lot of alarms now ring out to tell you of an activation too.

First recommendation was a big dog and second was a decent alarm system and loads of lighting at night time. CCTV came third or is that fourth?

Sorry to hear you had a break in.  My friend had one last year ....part of a spate locally......they took the hard drive for the cctv so there were no pictures (data was not stored anywhere else but hard drive), they got into the house ransacked it, got into the safe as well.  All in about 10 minutes while she was out on the school run.......and thank goodness she was out.

The gang was caught and have just been sentenced to 16 years in prison.  Other CCTV caught them and was used in court, they had balaclavas and guns it was very nasty about 10 really awful  burglaries with high value goods stolen (as well as guns stolen from locked cabinets) all that in less than 2 weeks.  Shocking really.  I think the guns were what spurred to police into action.  Ages of offenders.....19, 21 & 23.  Makes you shudder.