Reclaimed Railway Sleepers

ryder72

We need to built a retainer that runs along our neighbours property (boundary) at a height of about 2.5ft. We have chosen to use reclaimed hardwood railway sleepers at a quick and cost effective way to get the job done.

Our neighbour who is a constant moaner is now asked if we can change these for untreated sleepers as he smells creosote and tar. As it  happens there is no tar used on these but we couldnt smell either. Regardless, their use is perfectly legitimate.

Any thoughts on dealing with this?

5 hours ago, ryder72 said:

We need to built a retainer that runs along our neighbours property (boundary) at a height of about 2.5ft. We have chosen to use reclaimed hardwood railway sleepers at a quick and cost effective way to get the job done.

Our neighbour who is a constant moaner is now asked if we can change these for untreated sleepers as he smells creosote and tar. As it  happens there is no tar used on these but we couldnt smell either. Regardless, their use is perfectly legitimate.

Any thoughts on dealing with this?

You have my deepest sympathy

Do what I should have done 

Ignore him and your own thing

My neighbor can moan for England

No pleasing some people

Go to the yard where the sleepers are stored and see if you can smell them. Some do some don't. Some will be in worse condition than others, very variable.

Don't put them where people are likely to sit during a garden party or BBQ. Ours still leak something black and sticky ten years after they went in.

24 minutes ago, Temp said:

Go to the yard where the sleepers are stored and see if you can smell them. Some do some don't. Some will be in worse condition than others, very variable.

Don't put them where people are likely to sit during a garden party or BBQ. Ours still leak something black and sticky ten years after they went in.

But these are hardwood sleepers, so I'm guessing they are very similar to the oak ones we used as a retaining wall.  They don't smell at all, because they aren't treated, and, AFAIK, creosote/tar etc just doesn't penetrate hardwoods well, which is why they don't bother to treat them.

We bought new oak sleepers, rather than reclaimed ones, but only because around our way the new ones were both easier to get hold of and around the same price as the reclaimed ones.

I think creosote does soak into hardwood.

I have been chopping up some old "rotten" oak fence posts for fierwood.  It is only the outer half inch that is rotten and in the middle they are solid. I suspect they were soaked in a vat of creosote as it seems to have penetrated a long way in.

As an aside, I had to drill some floor joists in an old cottage, and by the smell as you drilled them, they were soaked in creosote. First time I have seen it used indoors.

We have had 2-3 gone in and he has complained of a smell.

These are hardwood sleepers from the polish railways, I assume put in during communist times with a generous coating of whatever. 

I have checked prevailing regulation and nothing stops me from using them so I am going to go ahead with it.

Looked into new sleepers - pine, chestnut and oak. All about the same price  or more but the guy I got them of recommended the reclaimed sleepers for longevity.