Cost of hanging doors?

Ferdinand

I have half a dozen doors to have hung.  Normal things - oak veneer, trim, 3 hinges and handles / catch.

What would a reasonable price be per door?

My first quote says £65/door. I ws expecting a little less than that - say £40-£50.

Any comments are most welcome.

Ferdinand

Depends on the day rate really ..?

Spon lists around 1.72 hours per door however if these are decent doors and they are having to do work to get them to fit into existing frames then 3 doors/day is probably not unreasonable. 

If they are heavy doors, then they do take a fair bit longer.  I employed a joiner to fit the linings and hang our doors, as with solid oak linings and wide oak doors they were too heavy for me to think about fitting.  He was on £180/day (no VAT) and fitted two doors and linings a day, including all the door furniture, with three ball bearing stainless hinges per door.  He was a bit of a perfectionist, though, and not the fastest guy around - but we do have every single screw head lined up so they all match, vertical for the slotted screws and the crosses all exactly vertical and horizontal on the cross head screws............

Thanks to a forum member, I have a local recommendation who charges £50 per door, which will be fine.

Cheers all

Ferdinand

(Will be largely absent for the next week or three, as the Little Brown Bungalow renovation is in the final stages and we are moving a business I part own to a new unit. And it is nearly Tax Time).