Grease Trap. Don't read this before meal times.

ToughButterCup

3 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

You aren't the first to suggest I over-engineer or over-think stuff. 

I'm just like anyone else who knows sod all about what they are doing , and prepared to make enough mistakes. 

We should have a club tie! :)

I generally have to BREAK something in order to learn from my mistakes! :)

Nice though to be able to come on here with a madcap idea, discuss and make "something from nothing" by upcycling or repurposing. Someone's seen it, done it or has gone down a parrallel path.

I wish I'd found our predecessor earlier. I'd have done so much differently. Hindsight is NOT a wonderful thing if you have to keep looking at what could have been done better. Probably explains why my procrastination issues are getting worse not better! One good thing I think is I might now redo something part way through if there's a better long term benefit. Even if it means a slight delay...:$

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

[...] One good thing I think is I might now redo something part way through if there's a better long term benefit. Even if it means a slight delay...:$

I can feel a post coming on entitled ' Perceptions, Uses and Affordances of Delay in the Self Build Sector '

But, thats for  another day.

@JSHarris, that set of posts written by you  (one of which is here) were instrumental in giving me just enough courage to make a start on this journey / saga/ comedy/ set of hiccups.

Its just that I feel -at the moment - every day I need to screw up my courage more than usual. Reading posts from people like @MikeSharp01  , @Onoff , @Construction Channel  and many others, it is completely clear that they have forgotten more than I will ever know about building. 

So, the slope is steep. But not impossible to climb. And a grease trap looks like fun because its simple to build. (Did I really write that?)

32 minutes ago, Onoff said:

..you can take me off of that list!

Me to - I am just a typical teacher type who knows exactly how to make it sound like they know what they are doing / saying. A lifetime of convincing students to believe me, and in me, I suppose. Yesterday I decided to take up Jackie's suggestion that we put a further lamp fitting into the ceiling of the garden room bedroom. I worked  out that I could feed a support batten in from the side uner the plasterboard and then fiddle the cable through. So I got my 25mm hole saw and drilled though the PB and existing batten. When I pulled it back I realised my error - the cutter was full of frame therm and I had drilled / torn a hole in the VCL. Took me all day to take the whole sheet of PB down, patch the VCL and put it back. 10 minutes turned into 4 hours - that's how much I know.