Wiring zone valves

So I've got the heating mostly sorted but the Zone valves are twisting me melon. They are from the TS to the manifolds and they have 5wires. This is 2 more than expected... We have Earth, Live, Neutral + Grey and Orange. 

I'm suspecting that these are switched lives? used to make sure that the boiler / pump is stoked up before the valve opens. Given that the boiler is effectively seperate to the circuit (buffered via TS) and the Manifold controller runs the pumps then they just need a bridge between Grey and Orange and then we make the rest / hot or not as needed by the heatmiser controllers (which have LEN) for the zone valves. 

Anyone care to comment? 

Brown and blue are L an N to the motor to activate the valve.

Green / yellow is earth.

Orange and grey is the contacts of a microswitch that closes when the valve is open. Used for feedback or to turn a pump on in a typical heating set up. If you have no use for them, ignore them.

• Thanks 1

It’s starting to make more sense. One last riddle. The heatmiser UH8 doesn’t have anything (voltage) on the manifold pump. This could I guess be a couple of things. 

The zone valve is not connected, 

or the call for heat is not connected. (Which never will be, as the boiler is disconnected and buffered via the TS) 

So I probably need to bridge the connections on the heat call and then it should hopefully lite up the pump circuit.

All the stats are calling for heat 

I am not familliar with that manifold controller.

But in general they all work in much the same way.  Each zone has a room thermostat. When any of the zones gets a call for heat from it's thermostat, it will tuen on the manifold pump., open the appropriate zone valves, and send a call for heat TO the boiler.

You have not mentioned room thermostats. With none connected, it won't do anything.

• Thanks 1