nod

German Kitchens

@jack you are right. Their laundry is very good and no one makes anything that comes close.

Miele only make their laundry, dishwashing, some ovens. Refrigeration, hobs, coffee makers, microwaves, extraction is all bought in.

2 minutes ago, ryder72 said:

@jack you are right. Their laundry is very good and no one makes anything that comes close.

Interestingly, when it arrived, the entire back panel of the washing machine was missing its screws. They'd clearly never been there - no marks at all on the surrounding sheet metal. The only thing holding it on was the other hardware sticking through it.

To their credit, they turned around a new one pretty quickly.

I do a bit with Miele lab glasswashers, and am well impressed by them. They try to keep service as close to their chest as possible but then, so do Hotpoint and the likes too.

The thing I dont like about Miele is their attitude to their dealers, customers. The whole lot are treated as a waste of space and an unnecessary obstruction to life.

There are other products on the market that IMO offer much better value and equal or better performance.

From experience I would always have Miele dishwashers and washing machines. IMHO they are the best and have sensible guarantees.

On 11/20/2017 at 17:49, ryder72 said:

The thing I dont like about Miele is their attitude to their dealers, customers. The whole lot are treated as a waste of space and an unnecessary obstruction to life.

That was the one thing that gave me slight pause before buying. There are a surprising number of stories on t'internet about stunningly poor service from Miele. But then there're plenty of other miserable stories for other brands too. Maybe it's a cultural thing? I have a good friend who works for a British company that was bought out by a German company a couple of years ago. They're still having trouble coming to terms with how disinterested their German colleagues are in keeping customers happy.

In vaguely related news, our Quooker just stopped working nearly two years after it was installed. So far, Quooker has been very good - after making sure I'd been through their troubleshooting guide, they're sending out an engineer out to fix it at no cost, despite the fact that it might just be outside the 2 year warranty period (I actually think we're still within it, but they can only see the date in October when it was delivered to the kitchen company. They just accepted that it was close enough without digging any further, which I thought was a nice touch).

We had a client who had c £30000 worth of Miele appliances in their kitchen. 2 years and a month after installation and just 1 month over the 2 year warranty period their dishwasher developed a fault. Technically the dishwasher was out of warranty but Miele didnt want to know and there was no goodwill. Needless to say that the client has now moved and we are working on a new kitchen for them. The only Miele on the list is 4 laundry items and this could have been c £40k worth of appliances.

I had a showroom working display coffee maker develop a fault and Miele refused to send out a technician FOC to repair it.

Edited by ryder72
Spelling
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Isn't there EU legislation that says that appliances should have a reasonable life, and if they fail they are covered for repair via the seller (who may or may not be the manufacturer).

I got my money back on my  out of guarantee washing machine, plus £100 because they jerked me about.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/bills/article-1677034/Two-year-warranty-EU-law.html

As far as I understand it, EU law requires a minimum of 2 years warrranty and this is pretty much the norm across Europe.

In the UK we have added complexity under the SOGA. The warranty has to be a minimum of 2 years as per EU directive. During the first 6 months the manufacturer has to repair or replace faulty qoods without question. From 6 months to 2 years repairs are permitted and replacement is at the manufacturers discretion. Beyond the 6 month point the onus is on the consumer to prove that a fault existed in the product at point of manufacture. This rule extends to 6 years and in typical legal fashion the term reasonable comes in. So if a washing machine costs £1000 a consumer can reasonably expect it to last that period of time, but if it was a cheap £150 machine then what is reasonable is anyones guess.

Consumers have started to use SOGA very loosely (when claiming refunds for a burger eaten last week) and it creates all sorts of complications. This needs to be clarified really.

The Consumer Rights Act 2015 replaces SOGA, the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999, and the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982.

sauce: which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-rights-act

The law is essentially the same, as far as I can tell -- but you might feel a right chump if, after angily quoting your rights under SOGA, the retailer points out that the Act is no longer in force.

Edited by richi
to clarify why I'm being anally-retentive

On 11/21/2017 at 09:06, jack said:

In vaguely related news, our Quooker just stopped working nearly two years after it was installed. So far, Quooker has been very good - after making sure I'd been through their troubleshooting guide, they're sending out an engineer out to fix it at no cost, despite the fact that it might just be outside the 2 year warranty period (I actually think we're still within it, but they can only see the date in October when it was delivered to the kitchen company. They just accepted that it was close enough without digging any further, which I thought was a nice touch).

Follow-up to this: the guy came out today to have a look. Apparently the tap was throwing a fault, so he replaced that. Still not working properly so he replaced the electronics on the main unit as well. He also gave it a service and replaced the internal filter cartridge because it had been sat out for so long (it usually sits inside the unit at 110 deg C, which keeps it free of bacteria).

All done free of charge and without fuss.

It's the nature of this forum that a lot of the time we post about how we have problems or have been let down, so it's nice to be able to relay a fantastic customer service experience.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jack said:

Follow-up to this: the guy came out today to have a look. Apparently the tap was throwing a fault, so he replaced that. Still not working properly so he replaced the electronics on the main unit as well. He also gave it a service and replaced the internal filter cartridge because it had been sat out for so long (it usually sits inside the unit at 110 deg C, which keeps it free of bacteria).

All done free of charge and without fuss.

It's the nature of this forum that a lot of the time we post about how we have problems or have been let down, so it's nice to be able to relay a fantastic customer service experience.

Good to hear, I need to chase Quooker as I requested one of their DIY servicing kits months ago but still not arrived. 

Didn't you say that there was nothing to it though (or is that how it acquired its fault :ph34r:) .

The servicing? It was pretty straightforward (and the fault was there before I serviced it, honest office!)

One useful thing they send you with the kit, apparently, is a new seal for the main vessel lid. Apparently the old one shouldn't be reused.

12 hours ago, ryder72 said:

Its very simple to service. 20 minutes max.

Yes, very straightforward. I was impressed with the internals - these things are clearly built to last.