How to match grouting?

I have to repair parts of the fireplace in our front room and while I have the stone I am wondering how to match the new cement with the stuff already used?  I have mixed up the sand with cement for the outside wall and its a completely differernt colour, more grey.  So any suggestions on how to get something closer to the original?  Thanks. DSC_1195.thumb.JPG.c22545a5da2c40b62d200c13761c0595.JPG

DSC_1717.thumb.JPG.46ce62d0616925c56028f550c0ccf2f3.JPG

It's Cotswold stone and the grout/cement used in similar in colour to the stone.  The right hand side has a section missing and there is also some needed on the far left hand side which you cant really see from the photo's. 

here's what it looked like originally.  I have removed the wood mantle but hope to get another nice oak mantle for it.  should match the wood flooring which we plan to put down.

DSC_0641.thumb.JPG.3a43741132a75848c4888166832c82b5.JPG

You basically need to experiment. 

Chances are they used local materials 

look at the mortar and work out how gritty it is

so go to the local merchant and buy a couple of bags of different sand one soft one a bit sharper and see what cement they sell get a bag of ivory cement as well as a bag of lime. 

Go home and make up half a dozen very small mixes use a coffee cup as a gauge 

so 5-1 sand and cement

5-1 sand ivory cement 

5-1 plus 1 of lime

its going to be very trial and error until you get a close match after you have done a couple you will get an eye for weather it's a bit grey or to creamy. 

Only way I know to do it to be honest. 

Let them dry indoors so you reach finish colour quickly. 

Knock a small piece of the existing out and take that with you.

Or take a printout of a photo with you, and see if the BM chappie recognises it.

Check the printout against the fireplace itself in daylight. Colour matching printing is a black art. Make the BM look at the printout in daylight.

Or repoint the whole fireplace.

Or take it out completely ;-) .

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

It will be white cement and some sort of yellow sand, but you will never be able to match it.

It's not my taste of fireplace, but if you are keeping it I would use a diamond blade on an angle grinder to take all the old pointing out, re-point it and then it will all look the same 

Its not my taste in fireplaces either but it has surprised me how many people have walked in and said they love it!  And as its a renovation to sell, it makes sense to repair it rather than take it out and have to buy another one.  I shall let you know how I get on once back on site - currentlydown with a cold so taking a few days off before getting back to work.:(