Help me identify this, please

6 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Yes. But I'm also taking the plumbing bull by the horns (Bit like @jamiehamy) I've been scared of it the whole of my life, but not any more.

'... Lockshield valve...'  It's just a plain valve isn't it. What does it lock and what does it shield?

I don't know why it is called that.

Unless you have a thermostatic valve, then you in fact have the same valve at each end of the radiator.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/chrome-angled-radiator-valve/33920

They normally come with 2 different caps.  One turns the valve stem when you turn it. The other is just a cover and cannot adjust the valve. Normally you adjust this one to balance the flow between the different radiators. Once set you put the cover on so it can't be adjusted so I guess it's locked and shielded?

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I don't know why it is called that.

Unless you have a thermostatic valve, then you in fact have the same valve at each end of the radiator.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/chrome-angled-radiator-valve/33920

They normally come with 2 different caps.  One turns the valve stem when you turn it. The other is just a cover and cannot adjust the valve. Normally you adjust this one to balance the flow between the different radiators. Once set you put the cover on so it can't be adjusted so I guess it's locked and shielded?

The name is literal.  Exactly you say, both valves(if you don't have TRVs) are the same, but to allow one to be set at a fixed position when balancing the system a shield is fitted over the top to lock the spindle in the set position, hence the name "lock shield".  The shield is only there to prevent the valve that end from being accidentally moved and upsetting the balance of the system.

Last time I bought any standard radiator valves (many years ago now) they came with both a handle and a lock shield in the box, so could be used for either job.

10 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

Finding the names of things is half the challenge

Ever industry has its own 'language'.  There is a theory that it is to keep people out and promotes protectionism.

Having just been away for a month, I noticed that 'the locals' spoke in statements, one sentence, one meaning, only.  This stifled debate and was quite tiring to listen to.

And they had no idea about irony and general humour.