Meter Box: holes for the cable

ToughButterCup

I have bought the meter box. Before I fit it to the wall above the hockey stick today I need to drill a hole so that the cable can be fed into the box. Does that hole have to have some sort of rubber grommet or gland to keep the water out? Or can I just drill a hole the same size as the hockey stick?

Flush or surface mount box?  Hockey sick on the surface or in the wall?

Either way the hockey stick wants to come up in the left side of the meter box. You should see marks to guide you where to drill the hole.

A flush mounted box, you can bring the hockey stick up within the wall and it enters near the back of the box.  Alternatively it can come up the wall on the surface and enter within the flange of the box, you should see a marking of where to drill the hole, again towards the left.  With that arrangement they put a sloping bit of wood in the box to fix the supply head to usually.

53 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Alternatively it can come up the wall on the surface and enter within the flange of the box, you should see a marking of where to drill the hole, again towards the left.  With that arrangement they put a sloping bit of wood in the box to fix the supply head to usually.

Our box had a hole in the bottom of the front flange to allow the cable to enter - no hockey stick at all for Western Power .!

They also have a wedge shaped connector with the fuse in it - really neat way to get the tails onto the meter. 

5 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Our box had a hole in the bottom of the front flange to allow the cable to enter - no hockey stick at all for Western Power .!

They also have a wedge shaped connector with the fuse in it - really neat way to get the tails onto the meter. 

Ditto. Exactly as per my install by Western Power.

37 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

No need for a grommet or water resistant fitting round the incoming cable I see.

Hmmm.

It’s only needed to keep the mice/bugs/newts out if you do seal it as water can’t flow up hill ..... 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

[...] keep the .... newts out [...]

Of one thing you can be certain. They will be in there.

If I put a bit of rotten wood in the bottom, they'll tuck in there quite safe and undisturbed.

Not like the one that Sid growled at in our living room last week during that warm spell.