Underlay underlay!

Lesgrandepotato

Hmm. I needs underlay. I’ve been quoted 660 for 138sqm of underlay for the beds, snug and hallway. 

This is carpenter 8mm stuff. A brief eBay check suggests that I can get carpenter 12mm for about 290quid for 137sqm. 

That’s a decent saving, but will the wet UFH still work? I am right in thinking there is little skill in laying underlay. Broadly unwrap, put on floor, make tea? 

18 minutes ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

I am right in thinking there is little skill in laying underlay. Broadly unwrap, put on floor, make tea? 

Seemed to be what our carpet layer did!  Worth taping joins if get draughts up through floor, say through first floor boards, as can get dust lines on the carpet, which very difficult to remove.

I am sure that is a very nice underlay but-

The 8mm underlay has a Tog of 2.29 which is too high for use with UFH.

Historically they said to keep the combined Tog of the carpet and underlay below 1.5, but I think 2.5 is now considered OK. Really you are probably looking at using much thinner underlay than this.

You can get underlay with a TOG of around 0.6.

If fitting carpet.... Some carpets are made in two versions, one with a hessian backing and one with a foam rubber backing. The hessian version will probably have a lower TOG which is better for UFH. Watch out for small print in the contract that allows the shop to supply either version.