Purchasing without a final price

I've found this with a few floor beam suppliers, they want you to place an order before they give you a final price - surely that can't be normal or the correct way to do business. I've been dealing with one supplier who has been fantastic. Now I have final measurements taken on site but before they look at it, they have replied saying to place the order and then they will get back to me if the price has changed. That's madness cos once they have my deposit, I'm screwed to what ever increase they see fit

I wouldn't be unduly concerned, as long as the dims quoted on are not hugely different from actuals. There will be a tipping point whereby an extra 100mm for example could mean a wider beams or closer centres and therefore it would be reasonable to ask the customer to pay for it. If you weren't happy they wouldn't have grounds to hold the deposit. 

It’s to stop you playing a game and going elsewhere with a spec for beams. It’s a competitive market, they have done design and engineering work for you as part of the cost, why would they do that for free and let you go to a competitor and they have a cost with no sale ..?? 

They may also have to get a further SE sign off of the design so if they change the spec the cost may change too. 

What you are buying may be a series of “standard” products but the implementation is bespoke to your design - it’s not unreasonable to expect there to be an element of variation in cost. 

The B&B company I used gave me a detailed price  upfront 

The only conditions were that I supplied and mixed mortar for them and supplied coarse sand for grouting

and four steel plates to site the crane's feet on

They sent me an invoice about a week after they had installed the floor