Magnaclean in system circuit..?

PeterW

This is more out of curiosity than a technical query - has anyone fitted a magnaclean or similar in their system circuits where you just have UFH...? I've looked at the components and other than the heat exchanger in the tank and the ASHP, the rest of the components are predominately plastic.

I've got a "requirement" from the ASHP manufacturer to fit a strainer in the return to the ASHP unit but I'm considering just putting one of the IntaKlean units in the circuit as it has both mesh filter and magnetic filter although I doubt there is much ferrous material in the system.

Thoughts..??

1 minute ago, Temp said:

Some people swear by them others are sceptical about them. I reckon corrosion inhibitor is more important.

+1

Even on an install with rads I think a magnetic filter does little tbh. How many have been fitted, and forgotten, and are saturated with crud which renders them useless? I'll bet it's 75% or above. Unless you routinely clean these like its law then inhibitor is, and remains to be your best friend. 

@PeterW, fit the strainer, but save the filter money and use it to buy beer. 

I had one fitted to our old house, with steel rads and a combi, because the extended warranty on the combi provided by the installer (which turned out to be useless - long story) was dependent on a Magnaclean being fitted.  TBH, I was very sceptical, especially as the whole system was power flushed for hours before the new boiler was fitted.  However, when I check and clean the filter every year, and top up the inhibitor (easy, just put a drop in the filter housing when it's off) I'm always amazed at how much black crud there is on the central magnet.  The thing clearly works in these circumstances, but only because the crud is magnetic.

With UFH it would be pointless, as there's no ferrous metal in the system usually, so there can't ever be any magnetic crud to filter out.  All I have on ours is a Y strainer, and on the one occasion when I drained the system down and checked it, all I found in there were a couple of bits of what looked like sealant residue, almost certainly from where I was a bit careless with one or two of the plumbing joints to the buffer tank (in my defence they were at the back and a real sod to get to......). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

We’ve just fitted one, we retained the old boiler and fitted the new TS and UFH throughout. The old system was full of hideous lumpy crap in every rad, so I figured for the investment it was worth it to try not to silt it the New with all that from the old setup that was in the boiler 

That's when it's worth fitting one, but please check and clean it every 6 months until it is evident that annual cleaning at the service interval will suffice.