Door linings

CC45

Evening all.

Got a bit of a puzzle regarding door linings.  Fitted standard ones today but I've got some to make tomorrow - odd sizes etc.  This is where I would value some input.

Example: master bedroom wardrobe - the gap is 1150mm so allowing 27mm each side for the handmade lining (total of 54mm), I think the widest doors I can fit are 533mm - so 1066mm + 54mm = 1120 + bit of slack = gap is ok.  So if the two doors are 533mm each (are they? or are the doors slightly less than this so they fit into a 533mm lining?) I assume the lining gap can be 1066mm? Or should it be a few more mm than this? I'd like to avoid having to alter the doors if I can.

Hope thats clear.

Thanks

No doors yet - need to get linings in so we can board up to them.  I suppose what I'm asking is - if the two doors are 533mm each, the gap between the vertical linings needs to - 533 + 533 + 5mm? Is this correct?

Will try to sketch something tomorrow.

Thanks.

I hope I am not talking out of turn here, but I wouldn't do 533+533, depending slightly on where the doors are.

I have a pair of doors at that size ANAD (as near as ...) from my kitchen into the conservatory - installed by the previous owner; everytime I want to carry a tray or a big basket of shopping or eg a tile cutter or similar through I am reminded that they are exactly the wrong size, and I have to hold the thing by its end or do a tricky Ali-shuffle, or open both doors which is a PITA.

If I am about right 1.066m is a bit wide for a conventional door unless it has tank-like mountings. The other way into my conservatory has a pair of 900mm DG upvc doors, which are wide and heavy enough that I am a little concerned for the longer term. They are fitted with *four* hinges each.

Unless there is a good reason for 2 x 533mm doors (eg if it is a vista / occasional alternative 'processional way' for parties, or they are fitted with flippy-flappy Wild-West centre weighted saloon door hinges), perhaps consider an asymmetric pair of doors, or even a side panel?

If my numbers are right a 610mm plus a 457mm pair, or a 685mm plus a 381mm would fit with your propsed door linings, and are standard sizes - although you are still committing to twice the budget.

Personally I would be tempted by an 838mm door plus a (possibly hinged and top/bottom bolted) side panel, which might create an oppportunity for some shallow storage, run of bookshelves etc.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

1 minute ago, CC45 said:

Hi @Ferdinand, these are cupboard doors; but if they werent then I agree with you, our existing house has a pair of doors this width and they are a pain.

Good :-). I thought it better to ask, just in case.

Another night-owl person.

Edited by Ferdinand

Often awake at this time now - I'm thinking its getting older along with too much on my plate, the latter more than the former at the minute.  I'm looking forward to finishing this build - but thats months or maybe a year away unfortunately.

Sleep never used to be a problem.

20 minutes ago, MikeSharp01 said:

Don't neglect the thickness of the doors in working out the gap as on thick doors  the radius from hinge centre to inner edge of door is critical to opening clearance unless the hinge centre is behind or in line with the inner edge. 

+1 to that

It is also the reason most rebate kits can appear to have a slightly wider offset on the rear door so they can swing past each other. 

So why do you need your linings in to board up. 

There is no reason to put linings in first. We board over the door openings and chop the doors out so you use a full sheet covering the head of the door this prevents cracking at the door corners and is the correct way of doing it but very rarely seen as it's easier to just board up to an opening and put a piece in above the door. 

If you are keen to get the linings in then why not. Do it like below. 

so I presume your having architrave?

if so than fit your linings temporarily couple of screws in each. 

Board up to them. 

Then when you get your doors you can pack your linings to get perfect gaps all around. 

The architrave will cover the gaps. 

If your not having achitrave and having a fancy trim on the edge of your boarding you will need your doors, trying to guess how big they are will lead to uneven gaps. 

Edited by Russell griffiths
Cock up.

10 hours ago, CC45 said:

No doors yet - need to get linings in so we can board up to them.  I suppose what I'm asking is - if the two doors are 533mm each, the gap between the vertical linings needs to - 533 + 533 + 5mm? Is this correct?

Will try to sketch something tomorrow.

Thanks.

So 533+533+5

what about the gap at the hinge side even with nicely rebated hinges they don't close tight to the lining there is still a couple of mill clearance 

i would think it may be a bit more like 

2+533+3+533+2

but as I said I would not try to get it this accurate with out the doors. 

Thanks all.  I found a friends son who unexpectedly does this for a living - I've left him to it.

One query I thought of today - do the wardrobe doors have to be the same height as normal door?  Lot of wasted space above them.  Will have a google larer on.