electricians help req

Simplysimon

hi folks,

shed came with roller doors and the one at my end is electrical. the switch is pictured with the instructions, wiring as in photos. question is, how do i wire it? i would like to wire it so i plug it into the genny until elec is installed. if possible, simple instructions please.

20171008_160701.thumb.jpg.5bfa1d0564c1de0394fc92d7c8049efa.jpg

20171008_160517.jpg

20171110_083304.jpg

20171110_083329.jpg

20171110_083337.jpg

20171110_112856.jpg

Looks like a simple manual control, but we need the make and model to be able to give advice.  The motor will be bidirectional, either a DC motor, a universal motor with field/armature switching, or a capacitor start/run motor with reversing wiring.  All can use a four wire basic connection to the up/down switch, with any suitable power supply, including a genny.

Our roller door uses a DC motor, with a power supply box and relays to activate each direction, but at a guess, I'd say yours may work like the winch I have for my loft hoist, a four wire capacitor start/run motor, with the windings switched for up and down, plus limit switches in the door itself.  The very rough info in those photos suggests that this is the case, but it's hard to see from those photos where the power should connect.

I am not convinced you have all the parts you need.

You have the roller door and  motor, and you have a key switch.

Where is the control box for the safe edge or limit switches to connect to?

These two sets of instructions give some information https://www.auto-roll.com/sites/default/files/AR433- plus instructions - updated.pdf and https://www.auto-roll.com/sites/default/files/AR433 Standard Remote Control Instructions.pdf

From those it looks like Green / Yellow is earth (no surprise there) Blue is neutral, and the black and brown are L to the motor. The other document tends to suggest one is for up and the other is for down.  So if you wanted to try it (without the curtain attached) you could try L to brown and N to blue and see if it turns. Then try L to black and N to blue and see if it turns the other way. Make sure the cable not connected is insulated when trying that. If it does not turn, then disconnect the power immediately

Let me know what that does.

Can you see anything else with wires, e.g. end of travel limit switches or any other device that may be intended to stop motion if it traps an object?

I'd urge caution before connecting mains to the motor.  The motor in our roller door runs from 24 V DC, yet has what seems to be a "mains" lead coming from the motor to the control box, with harmonised "mains" colours.  Without knowing what's in the control box there's no way for sure of knowing whether this is a 24 DC reversible PM motor or something else, like a switched capacitor start/run reversible 230 VAC motor, or even a 230 VAC universal motor with switched field and and armature windings.  I suspect one of the wires may be the top limit switch, too, that tells the control box when the drum is fully wound up.

Edited by JSHarris

I don't think these type have bump stop or limit switches because they are manually opened or closed. The operator has to insert the key and hold it in the up or down position and keep it there for the duration of the open / close event, thus it's deemed safe to operate without jam / limit control. 

I think those are only needed when it's fully automated one-press for up or one-press for down where you can walk away and a child / pet could get stuck without anyone knowing. 

5 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

That tells you how to mechanically assemble it.

This one https://www.auto-roll.com/sites/default/files/AR433- plus instructions - updated.pdf mentions the motor colours that I posted earlier and states 230V to the motor

And This one https://www.auto-roll.com/sites/default/files/AR433 Standard Remote Control Instructions.pdf mentions that power is supplied to one motor terminal for opening and the other motor terminal for closing.

Hence the test I suggested above.

As already pointed out, there are limit switches, so I still believe you are missing a control box probably containing some relays that the whole lot connects to.

48 minutes ago, Simplysimon said:

thanks guys,

no bump stops on door and no remote control, as @Nickfromwales states you need to hold the key whilst door opens/closes. didn't manage to get to phone today will try next week when i get time.

Do that test on the motor, and if that works, you can connect it straight to the key switch.

• 2 weeks later...