Window orientation

Ok so due to our planning officer?We are having a bit of a re design. 

So I will try to explain but I haven't got any drawings done yet so can't upload any but might be able to find an example on the web. 

We are having some high level windows installed in a wall just below a vaulted ceiling. 

Now I can turn this roof 180 degrees with out it effecting much. 

I am concerned with high level windows that allowing light in that we want, will also allow solar gain and lead to overheating in the summer. These windows can either face due SOUTH or due NORTH  

they will be aprox 4.5m long and 750 high. 

I will try and find some pics. 

They are fantastic for getting light into very wide buildings as they essentially create a slot of light half way along the roof. 

There are are some real benefits too of putting them under a reasonable overhang if south facing as they then become shielded from the direct sun - in winter they get the light and solar gain for longer due to the lower angle of incidence. 

• Like 1

I would argue for keeping it simple rather than using automated blinds etc if you can - eg overhang plus fixed lights, except perhaps one or two openers - since it will be a bit of a performance to be up there for maintenance, unless eg you half  an easily walkable roof.

Doesn't @Calvinmiddle have some of this?

Edited by Ferdinand

On 09/11/2017 at 17:49, Ferdinand said:

I would argue for keeping it simple rather than using automated blinds etc if you can - eg overhang plus fixed lights, except perhaps one or two openers - since it will be a bit of a performance to be up there for maintenance, unless eg you half  an easily walkable roof.

Doesn't @Calvinmiddle have some of this?

I do indeed, lots.  Mine face roughly East and South. 

If you was just wanting light in I’d say go for north.  Our living areas face north and the sky is always lovely and blue, but look out the bedrooms that face south and the sky is glaringly and whitish

Also the East facing ones at twice a year (Spring and Autumn) the sun comes in at the right angle to completely blind you when in the kitchen.  I wouldn’t be worried about getting direct sunlight into the building, you just want diffuse light and a view of nice blue sky*

*Disclaimer - nice blue sky entirely dependent on where you live in the UK ?