What does First Fix really mean?

1 minute ago, Bitpipe said:

To @HerbJ 's point above, make sure steels have penetrations spec'd at design stage. 

And THEN make sure the builder puts them in the right way round.

A house I wired last year, 2 steels were both put in backwards, meaning the nice row of holes opened up into a full height void space where they gave access to nothing, and there was only one hole where it was of any use. They had to get the steel guys back on site to cur some more holes.

2 hours ago, Bitpipe said:

Support for wall hung items such as cupboards, sinks, mirrors, TVs, etc. Either timber noggins, or ply/osb cladding unless a very heavy duty plasterboard is being used.

(updated , Ian)

Or do as we are on current job. Let partitioners do all work on price with double plasterboard. Don't bother to spec ply on back layer. let dry liners steam ahead covering everywhere. Later cut out patches everywhere to put support in for everything after skim and mist coat. Proceed to complain job is behind and wonder why finish is crap. 

Edited by Oz07

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, LadyBuilder said:

'Shadow gap' is the contemporary/architect's way of saying 'spend double than what you intended to on something nobody but arty people will notice'

all the rage in most of the refurbs i do in london

How are you creating your shadow gaps, mine were as cheap as chips to create. Trim comes in at £1.35/m, with no decoration needed, put up by the tacker at almost no extra cost. Better spread as there's a hard edge to work to and no skirting or architrave to fit or decorate. Win-win. It's not an aesthetic that would look right in every house though.