Decent source of Makita drills

PeterW

Just now, jack said:

Agreed. I can't imagine what sort of if work you'd have to be doing to get through two of those batteries in an hour.

If I did, I'd want a bloody long tea break anyway.

(Contrary to earlier post, I think I may have a Ryobi P210 which has 40Nm torque despite its age. I think the batteires only give you one attempt at that torque before they need charging again)

• Like 1

I'd go brushless and add a battery. 

I sold my single battery, brushless, drop-handled SDS 18v when a brushed 36v ( 2x18v battery ) one was offered to me nearly new, and regret it deeply. The brushless performance was measurably better, even with one less battery. 

28 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

I'd go brushless and add a battery. 

I sold my single battery, brushless, drop-handled SDS 18v when a brushed 36v ( 2x18v battery ) one was offered to me nearly new, and regret it deeply. The brushless performance was measurably better, even with one less battery. 

In practical terms how was brushless

better?

No way to cook the motor, it would shut off if I'd didn't like what it was doing. 

More consistent drilling speed, better ( seemingly ) battery life, and the single battery sds was lighter than the 36v but I'd say not any less powerful.

I don't know if the 2x18v ( aka 36v ) drill was supposed to be a big boys drill, but I very much do NOT rate it. Where my BL one would just stop, the 36v has now developed a bit of slack in the gearbox and now needs overhauling to stop it crunching, like it's missing a tooth on a gear.

BL also never need the brushes or armature replacing so your only ever into triggers then too. 

'''Tis the future my man. 

My kit will now be upgraded bit by bit to BL whilst my brushed stuff is still working, serviceable and saleable. May well start with that BL 2x 5ah kit. 

• 2 years later...

There's been an ITS deal for ages, DHP482 with 3ah batt and charger for £96. free del if you spend £100 so chuck something cheap on the order. 

Finally gonna buy one for the log cabin that doesn't require screws.

Oh Makita you will never know, anything about my home
I'll never know how good it feels to hold you
Makita I need you so
Oh Makita is the other side of any given line in time
Counting ten self tappers in a row
Oh no, Makita you'll never know

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/11/2020 at 12:14, daiking said:

There's been an ITS deal for ages, DHP482 with 3ah batt and charger for £96. free del if you spend £100 so chuck something cheap on the order. 

Finally gonna buy one for the log cabin that doesn't require screws.

Oh Makita you will never know, anything about my home
I'll never know how good it feels to hold you
Makita I need you so
Oh Makita is the other side of any given line in time
Counting ten self tappers in a row
Oh no, Makita you'll never know

Oh come on, that deserved more.

Still on the look out for deals on proper batteries. I'll be honest I was underwhelmed by the stamina of the 3Ah that came with the drill. 

I try to buy at 10 quid per amp hr exc vat. Think last lot of 5amp were 40 though on offer. 

My dtd154 has gone into makita for warranty repair. Thought it might be out of warranty went online Monday and it ran out 4.12.20 so just in time. 

1 hour ago, daiking said:

Still on the look out for deals on proper batteries. I'll be honest I was underwhelmed by the stamina of the 3Ah that came with the drill. 

And me. Amazon had genuine 4ah batteries for £21.99 last week which I missed >:(

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I've bought a cordless lawn mower https://www.radmoretucker.co.uk/shop/garden-machinery/cordless-garden-tools-and-accessories/cordless-garden-tools/makita-dlm382ct2-twin-18v-lxt-cordless-lawnmower-38cm-kit/

There's a makita promo for 2 extra 5Ah batteries so I'll probably sell these to get some money back and I can use the mower batteries in my drill/driver when I need to supplement the 3ah I have.