Satellite + RJ45

• 1 month later...

Just resurrecting this thread with a few questions of my own (at the stage I need to think about this now)....

Need to get cable in now for FM/DAB / TV / Satellite / Data and to this effect I've put in 2g sockets ready for it.  I assume grid switches would be installed.  However they seem to be expensive or with a rather limited choice.  I'd like it to be white and with no BT socket.  So I've ruled out:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/MK-K3564DABWHI-2-Gang-Quadplexer-Secondary/dp/B005BDAVM8

If this had a data (RJ45) socket then it would be perfect.

So yesterday I looked at:

https://www.sparksdirect.co.uk/mk-logic-2g-tv-fm-dab-sat-x-2-quadplexer-with-telephone-secondary-and-rj45-socket#.WkNgMGYiHcc

if this didn't have the BT socket then it would be perfect (apart from the price).

So last night I moved onto looking at dual sockets + 1g FM/DAB/ Sat 1 + 2 quadplexer + another 1g RJ45 socket.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/appleby-galvanised-steel-dual-35mm/48234?tc=DA4&ds_rl=1248181&ds_rl=1245250&ds_rl=1249481&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9KuQ0-mp2AIVjrvtCh2eVQCYEAQYBCABEgLPBPD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CI-n_9TpqdgCFQzIUQodXjoHow

http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/mk-logic-k3554dab-tv-fm-dab-satx2-quadplexer-socket

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/1-Port-Single-Socket-Rj45-Network-Cat-5e-Faceplate-Ethernet-Wall-Plate/1856330460?iid=122697758455&_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49129%26meid%3Dfe3e7bca9ae2462fb65ee51c53e9f62f%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D191412252543&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Should I just bite the bullet & accept a (redundant) BT socket OR mess around with the dual set up OR investigate further the grid options?

Any suggestions gratefully received

I used modular, rather than grid, frames to get mix and match satellite/phone/ethernet connections - for example I used double gang four module plates with four ethernet modules as a neater way of terminating all the ethernet cables in my study, where the router, switch etc is housed, rather than an industrial looking patch panel. 

The problem you have is the same one I had where I needed a multiplexer to get the DAB/FM signals down.  I ended up biting the bullet and splashing out for a media plate.  This has four switched power outlets, two satellite sockets, FM and DAB (multiplexed), a phone socket plus four spare module slots, that I used to feed wall speakers.  The unit I used was the MK Logic one: http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/mk-logic-k2740-4-gang-combination-plate

The annoying things were the cost of the back box, plus I also had to splash out on a multiplexer box to fit at the other end, where the antenna cables come into the house.

Edited by JSHarris

CPC have a massive range of this stuff, modular and assembled.

this one doesn't have a phone sockethttp://cpc.farnell.com/global-communications/mswp/global-multi-service-wall-plate/dp/SE00284

and if you splash for a Loftbox or similar then all the multiplexing and sharing is done in one go.

http://cpc.farnell.com/global-communications/loftbox-8-g/tvlink-8way-loftbox-psu/dp/SE00366?ost=loftbox&iscrfnonsku=false&ddkey=http%3Aen-CPC%2FCPC_United_Kingdom%2Fsearch

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

I used modular, rather than grid, frames to get mix and match satellite/phone/ethernet connections - for example I used double gang four module plates with four ethernet modules as a neater way of terminating all the ethernet cables in my study, where the router, switch etc is housed, rather than an industrial looking patch panel. 

The problem you have is the same one I had where I needed a multiplexer to get the DAB/FM signals down.  I ended up biting the bullet and splashing out for a media plate.  This has four switched power outlets, two satellite sockets, FM and DAB (multiplexed), a phone socket plus four spare module slots, that I used to feed wall speakers.  The unit I used was the MK Logic one: http://www.gil-lec.co.uk/mk-logic-k2740-4-gang-combination-plate

The annoying things were the cost of the back box, plus I also had to splash out on a multiplexer box to fit at the other end, where the antenna cables come into the house.

Those beasts are dotted around all the living rooms / dining rooms in the house I'm currently working on. I must admit I'd much prefer a row of regular socket sized boxes where they'd be on regular display, but in the study / out of eyesight they would make life easier. It just depends on how much stuff originates where that will be, as in sound as well as data etc. 

For me, I've started to run everything back to one of the dead eave spaces in my boys attic room, data / cctv, Tv, ( DAB omitted as it's simply strong / good enough direct from the transmitter  ), so I'll just be patching as cheaply as I can there and then dedicated 1g - 4g outlets remotely mounted where required. Oldest boys room is the next to hit, aka mission control :/. Can't wait for this bloody cast to come off my arm. :(  

Thats great - thanks.  I will ring around in the new year and see what I can get hold off.  I liked the manufacturer that @Onoff suggested - whats the quality like? Cpc also have solutions that I will follow up.

Not too keen on the @JSHarris fitting - ours is on view and Im not sure that I want to see that, would work ok in an office though.

Plenty to sort out....

I hid our big media plate behind the TV stand, so all the cables are out of sight.  It does have the advantage that all the cables to the TV, audio system, speakers, Freesat box etc are all hidden and out of view, as I fitted four speakers into the walls around the room and wired them back to that plate.

3 hours ago, CC45 said:

Thats great - thanks.  I will ring around in the new year and see what I can get hold off.  I liked the manufacturer that @Onoff suggested - whats the quality like? Cpc also have solutions that I will follow up.

Not too keen on the @JSHarris fitting - ours is on view and Im not sure that I want to see that, would work ok in an office though.

Plenty to sort out....

Deta are favoured by the bulk buying house builders. Sort of the contract emulsion of accessories imo. Maybe a bit more than that. Go to your local CEF and ask to look at say a Deta 2G switched socket compared to an MK or Scolmore Click. See what you think as to ease of switching and noise (dead of night).

http://www.detaelectrical.co.uk/about

How about just using the Deta ones for the tv/data plate and better stuff elsewhere. Can't see that "matching" with other white accessories is a huge issue if using these as they're covered in "gubbins" anyway. 

Edit: Btw I used that manomano site the other day for paint of all things. They seem to do all sorts.

Edited by Onoff

We have flat metal faceplates in our house. For our media plate I ordered a blank double plate and fitted my own connectors.  It's got something like..

4 HDMI,

1 F-type 

3 speaker sockets

1 RJ45

1 3mm jack socket for an IR extender

Most are through panel types with an identical connector on the back as the back box opens into a media cupboard.

Took about a day to make with drills an files as I didn't want to pay for punches that I didn't think would go through the steel plate. Would be easier on a plastic plate.

Edited by Temp

1 hour ago, Temp said:

We have flat metal faceplates in our house. For our media plate I ordered a blank double plate and fitted my own connectors.  It's got something like..

4 HDMI,

1 F-type 

3 speaker sockets

1 RJ45

1 3mm jack socket for an IR extender

Most are through panel types with an identical connector on the back as the back box opens into a media cupboard.

Took about a day to make with drills an files as I didn't want to pay for punches that I didn't think would go through the steel plate. Would be easier on a plastic plate.

Back in the day with the first house I attempted that; 5-pin DIN, phono, co-ax and 9-pin D. Only the aerial ever got connected! :) Excuse crap photo from yesteryear!  

plate.thumb.jpg.a8a0d34cf18a6f4db3255a0d39667839.jpg

10 hours ago, Onoff said:

Deta are favoured by the bulk buying house builders. Sort of the contract emulsion of accessories imo. Maybe a bit more than that. Go to your local CEF and ask to look at say a Deta 2G switched socket compared to an MK or Scolmore Click. See what you think as to ease of switching and noise (dead of night).

http://www.detaelectrical.co.uk/about

I've just committed to Deta slimline for our fittings.  TBH, they feel better than I expected for the price, and are guaranteed for 25 years so should be fairly robust. Should start fitting a few at the weekend so will know better then.

• Like 1

I've got single Cat-5E to all of my rooms and an 8-port 1000/100  switch which happily runs the 1Gb enabled devices at 1Gbit.  Maybe I should have used Cat 6 but my thinking was that I could happily run 5E at 1Gb over these sorts of distances so why bother? 

I've cabled up double thin satellite cables to all rooms (so that they can all support a 2 channel Freesat PVR) , but I am beginning to wonder if I will ever bother getting around to putting the face plates on.   It seems just easier to stick a Humax MultiRoom PVR in the Services room where my cables will come in and them put the Humax streamers in any room where we need one.  

• Like 1

TBH, the only advantage of Cat 6 in a house is that it's a lot easier to pull through Posijoists, I can't see any other advantage.  I was given a few km of the stuff, that had been laid in error in a new build (they had laid ordinary Cat 6, rather than the low smoke a fume stuff) which was the only reason I used it.  It is a lot stiffer than Cat 5, because of the separator that runs down the centre, and doesn't tend to get itself into loops when pulled as cat 5 cable does.  For that reason alone I think it's probably worth the extra cost.

4 hours ago, JSHarris said:

I was given a few km of the stuff

Where on earth could you manage to hoard something like that?   You must have a lock-up somewhere.  There's certainly not a lot of storage space in the new house :)

I have a tendency to hang onto stuff that I feel that I might want in the future, even down to useful offcuts of wood,  plumbing bits, etc..  However, Jan and I know a few people who have become OCD hoarders in older age (including an older sister); we have also been involved in clearing out decades of accumulated possessions of deceased relatives -- all very valuable to them, but little more than detritus to the relatives faced with the task of clearing out.   So we don't really want to end up doing the same to our kids.

Jan has a simple philosophy: if we probably don't need it soon and the replacement cost is small, then free-cycle or dispose.  However for some reason, this rule doesn't seem to extend to kitchenware, but does to the contents of my shed. xD

15 minutes ago, TerryE said:

Where on earth could you manage to hoard something like that?   You must have a lock-up somewhere.  There's certainly not a lot of storage space in the new house :)

I have a tendency to hang onto stuff that I feel that I might want in the future, even down to useful offcuts of wood,  plumbing bits, etc..  However, Jan and I know a few people who have become OCD hoarders in older age (including an older sister); we have also been involved in clearing out decades of accumulated possessions of deceased relatives -- all very valuable to them, but little more than detritus to the relatives faced with the task of clearing out.   So we don't really want to end up doing the same to our kids.

Jan has a simple philosophy: if we probably don't need it soon and the replacement cost is small, then free-cycle or dispose.  However for some reason, this rule doesn't seem to extend to kitchenware, but does to the contents of my shed. xD

It was in a big ball, around 20ft across, just as they had hoiked it out of the building!  They left it lying on site and I just asked what they were going to do with it and was told that one of the labourers was going to have the job of cutting it into short lengths and filling skips with it.  I asked if I could pull a few lengths out and the guy just said to "fill yer boots".  It was all very long lengths, too, as it had just been laid in massive floor trays and never connected to anything, as the error was found during first fix.  I think a fair few others helped themselves to a few hundred metres of the stuff, too, as every little bit taken meant less hassle for the main contractor.  At the time we hadn't even found a building plot, and I was still working, so the loose coils of the stuff sat in my garage for a few years.