UFH in slab or screed, eps or pir insulation?

Tin Soldier

35 minutes ago, Tin Soldier said:

its a 100mm slab with mesh and ufh pipes

That's the same specification as the slab on our new build. It's been down for 18 months with no issues.

Our EPS 70 is 300mm thick - it carries no load apart from the weight of the 100mm conc slab.

• 9 months later...

Welcome.

Loads of people here now have 100mm thick passive slabs with integrated UFH pipes, including me, and I'm not aware of anyone with major problems, apart from one issue where a sub-contractor wasn't used to levelling such a slab as it was their first ever job.  In that case the main contractor paid to have corrective action taken.

I documented everything except the power floating (because that went on well after it got dark) in our blog:

http://www.mayfly.eu/2013/10/part-sixteen-fun-and-games-in-the-mud/

• Like 1

HI thats excellent to hear, I think finding someone to do it properly up here is going to be the main issue !

Thanks for that info will have a good look !!

We did a self build in 2009 but now downsizing and want to make sure all the problems we had back then aren't repeated. Having this new idea for the floor is one of them I want to explore and its also cheaper !!

this was our first try which we have just sold and moved out of !

http://www.russquinlan.co.uk

And this is the new one

http://www.stationbrae.uk

I remember your first build, read about it on the Navitron years ago before I was kicked off by a lunatic moderator for trying to offer advice on some batteries that I had around 20 years experience of using (said moderator didn't know his arse from his elbow about them - cost Navitron a lot of money, as because of him I refused to buy any of their kit for our new build - their loss was around £10k at a guess).

Glad to hear you sold the old house OK, it looked to be in a really lovely spot with great views.  IIRC, you had some airtightness issues, and my experience has been that airtightness is probably more important than insulation level for many domestic sized low energy buildings.

Having the UFH pipes in the passive slab is a real cost and time saver.  At a guess, it adds around £400 to £500 tops to the cost of the slab, which makes it a pretty cheap heating/cooling system.  We use our UFH pipes to cool the slab in summer, by just reversing the ASHP.  Works very well indeed, and gives cooling at no cost, as in hot weather there is always enough excess power from the PV system to run the ASHP in cooling mode.

Ah yeah you remember that !

That was because the suppliers of the kit house were cowboys from 300 miles away and I hadn't a clue until it was too late.

Anyway this time its a local house builder (6 miles away) who will be supplying the SIPS Kit, but although the house won't be Passivehouse Standard, it wont be far off and certainly no draughts !

I will be looking through your comprehensive blog and no doubt, pinching a few ideas !!

ah ha I may need to pick your brains then because the builders I asked seems retisent to try anything like this !!

rather than fill this thread, would you mind emailing me and then I can ask you more about your slab ?

thanks ? 

Edited by PeterW
Email removed

5 hours ago, russ_fae_fyvie said:

And this is the new one

http://www.stationbrae.uk

I like the sizes of the rooms and the layout,  but why the huge 'boiler room' and why don't you use some of that space to give yourself a shower ensuite ? Seems a strange use of that considerable floor space. 

Please do have a good read here about battery systems and their current longevity / RoI as there still seems a lot to discuss prior to investing a lot of capital into that endeavour. Nowt wrong with cabling for it in anticipation btw. ?

With that amount of PV you'll find there isn't that much left for battery charging, after DHW / driving a heat pump, plus plug in loads / general / self consumption etc, so look at what ( excess ) you can produce before looking at what electric-dependant equipment / devices you'll consider installing ;)

I'd focus on DHW first, and then look at how you'll manage space heating eg an ASHP used in the day to heat up the slab and then just a Willis heater to maintain / top-up the overnight temp, if required. 

If your at or around PH standards you may well be ok to go all-electric and do away with the heat pump. 

• Like 1

@russ_fae_fyvie

Hi Russ.

I got on pretty well to be honest looking back, still miles away from being finished but trying to do a lot myself, whilst having three kids under 6 and a million things to do is proving challenging

laid 300mm of eps70 insulation no bother at all, took a couple of days,

Working with the steel mess and upstands I didn't like so much, and the UFH loops were more time consuming than you would think - was still doing it at midgnight 7 hours before concrete pour. so if you want to test it, best give yourself plenty time.

happy to answer any questions you have, or give you pointers to some cheap trades if you need

I like your plans , very nice

• Like 1

I know the feeling with finishing off before the concrete lorry arrived, we stepped off the slab when the concrete lorry was reversing in in to the pump..... Thankfully we got a little help from the concrete guys (8 guys arrived at 7am, lorry 8am) with tie wrapping the last of the pipe or we would not have made it! Everything went smooth after that.

Edited by Alexphd1
  • Like 1

I have the joy of having a concrete plant 3 miles from site and it’s a family run business. They called to say they were running early so could drop earlier than planned and also sent their brand new rig on its first day out ... Made life very easy overall and are always easy to work with. 

In contrast I’ve done a job with a large firm and they left 2 hours between loads, and even lied about the drops as the wagon driver told me he had been diverted elsewhere between drops..! Never again..!

• Like 1

HI @ultramods I have quotes from them and also Eco SIPS Homes and they are very similar, only difference is Eco Homes do the erection which may be an advantage. Will be interested to hear how you get on the the Angus Homes kit, it certainly looks the job and I'm having Nordan Windows through them as well.

@Tin Soldier yeah if you have any pointers especially regarding the pouring of the foundations I'd be grateful of a hint !

@Nickfromwales yeah that boiler room originally needed space for a Pellet Boiler and Buffer Tank but as I think we will go the ASHP route it will free more room in there so may do some shifting of some walls !

Edited by russ_fae_fyvie
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Any DER / TER figures yet for fabric and ventilation heat loss ?

Nope not got as far as that yet, we held back on all that as we weren't sure we were going to get planning permission so didn't go too far until we got that and that was only last week so the SAP calcs, etc, all now need to be looked it

• 1 month later...

guys, one more question.

Looks like we have sorted the slab design now that the Structural Engineer is happy with.

Just wondered whether the base insulation above the compacted hardcore is better at 100mm or 200mm ?

Despite the old adage of Insulation, Insulation and more Insulation, the Plumber seemed to think extra insulation there wouldn't make much difference as there is very little loss of heat in that direction compared to the walls, etc, so if i can get away with 100mm I will, any thoughts?

• Confused 1

So the plumber is wrong ...!

The constant temperature under the slab is around 8c. All year round. So anything above that will lose heat due to the differential temperature. Walls will fluctuate from -5 to +25 in reality, so losses are variable. 

Run the numbers through @JSHarris spreadsheet and change the uValue for the floor and look at the differences. 

• Like 2

On 12/08/2018 at 19:33, JSHarris said:

I remember your first build, read about it on the Navitron years ago before I was kicked off by a lunatic moderator…

Funny that, I got chucked off there for saying how bad the thread on Russ's fire was. (Long after the thread happened.)

• Like 1