External Masonry Texture

mike2016

Hi,

I need advice about painting the exterior of my house. It's not had any attention in years and some of the paint was bubbled and just fell away. I thought brushing off all the bad paint and just painting over would be fine but you can clearly see the areas of disrepair where I tried this. I've applied Polyfilla exterior today to repair the other damaged areas and cracks but the original builder used a particular surface finish which the smooth pollyfilla doesn't match. Areas where the original paint was good look fine when painted over but the section below I tackled today looks horrible (!) and I need to figure out a better approach before I make things worse..........! 

Thanks!

exterior.jpg

Before I repainted my old 1930's house I used to own, I cleaned it all off with a pressure washer. That did a very very good job of removing all loose and flaking paint, as well as moss growth. The new paint stuck well to what remained and covered well.

TIP: if doing this from a ladder, make sure you know the recoil force on the lance when you press the trigger, and hold on tight.