Making my own battens

I'd like to make the battens for this roof.

20171101_115801.thumb.jpg.fdb26a829d78c16058263005f69c0259.jpg

I have lots (60 linear meters ) of 4 by 3 and a load of 4 by 2. Most of it is reasonably straight. It's treated. I have a circular saw. You can see where this is going can't you?

I'm doing my very best to reduce the additional costs of having to shutter my Durisol blocks during the last two pours by re-using the stock that was needed to build the shuttering.

What should I treat the newly cut battens with?

Loos very tidy. Only do this if you intend NOT to walk on them. My reading tells me at least in theory that battens these days come in several categories and for roofing without sarking (Boarded out), which you can walk on anyway, you need the ones that come graded (Pink / green is it?) without faults and won't break - so you won't fall through. If you are making all of them you can thicken things up to help strength and remember how the grain runs to help strength again. If its a battery saw be prepared to recharge every length of two, specially if the timber is wet but Safety first.

Hadn't thought as far ahead as waltzing around on the  battens in order to lay them.... but the question was

What do I need to do to treat (preserve) the battens. Will simple fence post stuff do, or do I need something stronger? I wish Creosote was still legal. I love(d) the smell

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

What do I need to do to treat (preserve) the battens. Will simple fence post stuff do, or do I need something stronger? I wish Creosote was still legal. I love(d) the smell

If you want to comply with the British Standard then your roof battens really should be pressure treated with preservative.

The BS isn't a legal requirement however your BCO may require compliance with it and any kind of mortgage or warranty surveyor will normally require compliance.

Edit: I've just realised this is only for your Piggery!

Edited by Ian

48 minutes ago, Ian said:

If you want to comply with the British Standard then your roof battens really should be pressure treated with preservative.

The BS isn't a legal requirement however your BCO may require compliance with it and any kind of mortgage or warranty surveyor will normally require compliance.

Edit: I've just realised this is only for your Piggery!

I was told tile battens are given such a vivid coloured treatment so the BCO may determine from ground level that they are the correct treated battens.

The problem with ripping your own battens is that a large enough knot can end up severely weakening the piece, where it would not have been a big enough proportion of the whole timber to have any detriment. But if it's just for the piggery, and if the wood is effectively free, and if you can be bothered with all the work, then yeah why not :)

A table saw may be easier, and certainly more powerful, but you'd have to rig up suitable in and out feed supports.

As to treatment, maybe have a browse of woodfinishesdirect which several people on here have used- quite good advice and easy to deal with.

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I was told tile battens are given such a vivid coloured treatment so the BCO may determine from ground level that they are the correct treated battens.

There must be some purpose to it. Horrible stuff, when wet the blue dye comes off on your hands, and I found the quality of the timber was pretty poor and prone to splitting. You have to pre-drill if you are remotely near an end. Never used to have to do that with the plain uncoloured battens, but unfortunately my branch of Jewsons don't seem to stock that any more. I ended up with the blue stuff even though I specifically said it was for internal use only.

3 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Depends what business you're in. Their Creoseal smells the same as Creosote.

https://www.creosotesales.co.uk/product-category/traditional-creosote/

I would have said any "complete" wood preserver will be fine for this application,

http://www.wood-finishes-direct.com/product/ronseal-total-wood-preservative?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4eXPBRCtARIsADvOjY15vy6ETIi1ecRNY7Uq0DdKVEVGkcI6LLmdIRDVZ2bCfE0gUdS5AlcaAiGpEALw_wcB

can you not use the 4x2 for your internal walls? 

realistically you are going to need about 16-20 battens for the whole thing if that, (depending on the size of your slates)

how long is the roof and are your timber lengths big enough to do it in one hit?

also, dont forget you will only get 3 full inch battens per 4x2........

your going to do it anyway aren't you so I really don't know why I am trying to convince you otherwise :) 

I'd make the battens out of what you've got. As for going thru them just make sure you tread on where the roof joists are. You can always draw a say red marker line on the "white" felt.

Can't beat traditional Creosote imo. 

If you want them in a pretty colour then a penetrating one like this:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Barrettine-Premier-Wood-Preserver-8-Colours-5L/352016420383?var=621535329384&hash=item51f5d04e1f:g:OjgAAOSwWxNY2ma1

Lots of the shed & fence stuff just sits on top.

51 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

25p per metre for treated batten, I wouldn't bother ripping it down, I imagine that you would be able to use the other timbers elsewhere.

You're getting a better deal than me! Every time I bought some, Jewsons would charge me 74p, I would phone up to complain, and they would apologise and knock it down to 44p.

10 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

I'd like to make the battens for this roof.

Ian, old fruit, why?????   I can think of lots of projects that i'd want to do.  And lot's of them woodwork ones, but making my own battens, naaahhhhh!!  You need to have decent preserver on them, and that stuff is nasty. Battens are cheap as chips. 

Get yourself a table saw, radial arm saw and planer thicknesser and get the knack of getting your hand tools scalpel sharp, and do some (other) more value-add projects. Sorry if I am saying the unthinkable and feel entirely free to ignore me, but someone should air this PoV :(

8 hours ago, bassanclan said:

25p per metre for treated batten, I wouldn't bother ripping it down, I imagine that you would be able to use the other timbers elsewhere.

Good price for battens. What size?

IIRC my pricing at the best local source was either (cannot remember which) 28p/38p or 38p/48p per metre plus VAT for untreated / treated 25mm x 38mm roofing laths.

Suspect that this cost saving self-made battens measure may perhaps fail the effort / reward test. @recoveringacademic what would the total cost of bought in battens be at (say) 50p per metre?

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

7 hours ago, TerryE said:

Ian, old fruit, why?????   [...]

You are right to ask.

It's a marginal call. I am still smarting from having to buy £300 worth of stock to make good the shockingly poor work done by one person. I have a portable table saw, the wood is sitting there on the stillage. All the wood in the photo on the replacement roof is recycled. And I know that as soon as I cut up a chunk of my recycled stock , I'll have 6 other jobs for it.

But I will feel like I have 'got one back' on the  little sod .  Yes, I can be petty when the occasion arises. Does me good sometimes.

12 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

[...]   your going to do it anyway aren't you so I really don't know why I am trying to convince you otherwise :) 

BH helps  me think. And if that process is exposed, then it is helpful to others... Reduces the need for overthinking. 

Experts like you often don't know how much they know, and if they do, they cant explain it well. Hence this

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

I thought they chopped fingers off if you use it

I can see why you of all people are avoiding using it then! :D

2 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

Yes, I can be petty when the occasion arises. Does me good sometimes.

Good on you. It's the little things that make life worth living.

25p per m I paid is for treated laths (with a little negotiation), 4.8m per length in a 48m bundle. The size was 19x38mm, which is probably not within new build building regs, but is what is used on most old roofs. This was collected from DA Brockwell near Nuneaton, but have had similar from other sawmills. Obviously if you need delivery/small order etc then that cost has to be factored in.

I don't feel quite so ripped off now- I was buying 25x50 battens.

I would be surprised if @recoveringacademic could get many 9mm battens out of a length of larger wood without losing a good number of them to knots. Do you not have a future project that could benefit from them? Decking, a shed, log store, etc?

18 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

[...] you could ply the roof first. [...]

Click. 

A's a temporary measure, cover the lot with some 11mm OSB. Just so I can get in-out-of-the-rain, batten some polythene sheeting over it.

That gives me a work room. Build / buy / steal two temporary doors. Fit them and put a whacking great padlock on each. 

Somehow keep Debbie from booking too much space:

Any ideas how to keep a partner  out of your workshed?  Legal, decent ways?

Heaven.