Spraying Osmo Oil onto Doors

Ferdinand

My untreated oak veneer doors have just arrived, and will need treating.

I am looking at either normal Osmo oil, or Polyx Oil - also by Osmo and iirc a harder finish. Sprayable versions do exist, albeit at the usual slightly eyewatering prices O.o. I can live with that for only a few litres.

http://www.osmouk.com/retail/product.cfm?product=359

Has anyone tried spraying their doors? Are there any lessons to learn?

Cheers

The Polyx oil isn’t recommended for use on wood veneer doors as there is a small chance it could cause delaminating. We used the Osmo door oil, applied with a cloth, 3 coats on each of our 22 doors, it took a while but the finish looks great, and just as good as our kitchen worktops which were sprayed.

37 minutes ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

I've been doing our internal doors, you can do one with a brush in 20mins or so with a brush, just go lightly on the cover so it doesn't run everywhere. It'll take longer to mask them up and spray them

I agree. We did our oak laminated doors with Osmo Polyx using a brush and it was very quick and easy.

3 hours ago, Lesgrandepotato said:

I've been doing our internal doors, you can do one with a brush in 20mins or so with a brush, just go lightly on the cover so it doesn't run everywhere. It'll take longer to mask them up and spray them

2 hours ago, Ian said:

I agree. We did our oak laminated doors with Osmo Polyx using a brush and it was very quick and easy.

+1, Osmo Polyx, 20 -25 minutes per coat.  Brush on, wipe off with lint free cloth.  Great finish (far better IMHO than the pre-finished doors you get)

We used Doordeals oak veneered doors and solid oak facings, architrave, skirting and stairs, and used brushed Osmo oil every where.  Pretty quick to do, but a fair bit of effort needed to get the oil worked in to every crevice.

The process we used was to rub every bit of timber down, along the grain, with a green (coarse) Scotchbrite pad.  The timber was then wiped over with a barely damp clean rag, wetted with white spirit.  The Osmo oil was then applied neat, with no thinning, and brushed in well.  As above, it took around 20 minutes per coat (less for me, more for SWMB).  I laid newspaper under the door gaps to catch any drips.

Before subsequent coats the timber was rubbed down lightly with a clean Scotchbrite pad, to de-nib the surface.  The doors got two coats (they were going to get three, but two seemed plenty) and the stairs got three coats.  We used the satin finish Osmo and spent some time with the (Purple) Scotchbrite pads rubbing with the grain on all finished surfaces that were to be touched (banisters etc).  This has given a very smooth and hard wearing surface, and I'm frankly amazed at how well the stairs have stood up to what's been a lot of traffic.  When they have got a bit scruffy, I've wiped them down with a rag and white spirit, used a green Scotchbrite to remove any marks, then given then another coat, and they come up like new, every time.

I do have a tin of the tougher Polyx here, but have yet to try it.  I was thinking of using it on the stair treads, unless someone says otherwise.

Osmo oil may seem expensive, but it does go along way and needs very little time to apply, so I thing that, in the long run, it's probably pretty good value.

Can anyone share photos of their doors that have had 2+ coats of the Osmo door oil (or polyx I suppose)? I’ve just done my first coat on some of our doors but I’m worried about them getting too dark/rich coloured. 

9 hours ago, Grosey said:

Can anyone share photos of their doors that have had 2+ coats of the Osmo door oil (or polyx I suppose)? I’ve just done my first coat on some of our doors but I’m worried about them getting too dark/rich coloured. 

I worried about this with our stairs and newels, but it seems to me that over the week or two after applying they seem to gently lighten up, also the second coat is nowhere near as extreme as the first. 

39 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Has anybody had problems using Polyx over veneer? Wondering whether to take the chance since I've got enough left in the pot.

I could test it out on the inside of a cupboard door, I suppose.

We were concerned about this but we used Polyx on our oak veneered doors and they've been fine. No problems at all since we put the Polyx on 9 months ago.

• 4 years later...

13 years and two kids on our osmo floor and stairs. No sign of needing a recoat. Some slight wear to the bull nose on bottom step due to people using it to avoid bending down to put on shoes grrr.

Occasionally gets mopped with a damp mop.

On 04/02/2022 at 19:13, OldSpot said:

@Ian

I know this is going back a while but presume still no issue with the doors and Osmo Poly-x?

No, the Osmo Poly-x has been great - no issues at all with it in the 5 years since we did the work.