Timber frame Stud centre spacing

jpinthehouse

I think the industry standard is 600mm. Possibly for the reasons you mentioned above. The only advantage you listed above for 400mm is a stronger structure but I  would argue it isn't necessary - otherwise the SE and similar interested parties would advocate 400mm.

PW.

3 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

Ours is 400mm everywhere, walls, joists and rafters

There is an argument for 400 centres based on achieving flatter walls with plasterboard but it must be marginal. I guess you need 400mm to meet the structural requirements around the larson truss system.

There is also another argument based around the sizes of boards because OSB normally comes in 8 x 4 (2440 x 1220) while plaster board comes in at 2400 x 1200 which seems mad as to use the larger OSB boards you need, or it is implied that you need to, move out to 610mm centres! 

400mm for bathrooms and kitchens for cabinets etc and tile weight per m2 ;) Don't forget that over a certain kg/m2 you need to ply then PB then tile. 400mm centres if it were me, 600mm is ok for living spaces and bedrooms, hallways etc but utility / kitchen / bathrooms etc should be 400mm. 

Interesting. Almost without exception every TF house I see (usually the ones I wire) are 600mm spacing, my own included. Though (don't ask me why) I have very awkward 450mm spaced rafters.

I have built all my internal stud walls to 400 spacing.

400mm spaced JJI joists downstairs. 600mm spaced posi joists upstairs

49 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You can do 600 in kitchens and bathrooms etc but you'll have to ply or OSB them as tiling over plasterboard at 600 centres holds very little weight. Even worse when the moisture from the adhesive softens the PB. 

Hmm mm... I'm almost too late but not quite. 9mm ply or thicker? 

16 minutes ago, Oz07 said:

Is there no metric sheets of OSB made specifically for this issue? Or  can t&g sheeting be bought which works with 400/600?

Can def get TG osb metric. We got 2400x600 for the roof after the farce of being supplied 2440x1220 for the upper roof. 

3 hours ago, jamiehamy said:

Hmm mm... I'm almost too late but not quite. 9mm ply or thicker? 

Na..... just use 12mm Hardie Backer board - you could probably get away with 1200mm centres, no wonder you cannot buy it in the 1200 x 2400 sheets only smaller ones (1200 x 800) as the weight would be unmanageable on anything bigger!

1 hour ago, Oz07 said:

Thought there would be a solution!

how was your racking done @ProDave? Studs set to imperial or metric boards sourced?

I will have to confirm with a tape measure, but I am 99.9999% certain the OSB we get here (made by Norboard next to Inverness airport) is 2400 by 1200 metric size.  It certainly fits 600mm centre studs, and then when battened metric plasterboard fits perfectly.

Reading between the lines, some of you are only able to buy 1220 by 2440 imperial OSB?