Site Visitors.

I'm getting more used to the range of reactions from visitors to the site. Its the range of reaction that interests me.

The thinly veiled sneer.

Yer doin what? How much?  How yer doing the roof then? Shakes? What, vaulted roof? Haven't done wun o they fer 20 year od. An' ahm a rewfer. Yer wanna trussed rewf mert... Well good luck with that then

The visiting BM Driver

It takes a BM delivery lorry driver about 10 seconds to say,  Whasatt stuff then? Followed by  'Looks like sponge' (Durisol block). 

The visiting mate

Got the keys to yer digger? Need owt lifitin' ? Need an ole dug? Has Debbie got the tea on yet?  Ya haven't done much since I was last here. 

The visiting BH member

I'll get my kit out the van, won't take long. 

The architect

Well, the SE will be able to tell you that.

The passing cyclist(s) We are on a National Cycle route)

I've got no time for NIMBies; seems to me you've just gone and got on with it. JBDI is my motto too.

The passing local councillor

How come its taking you so long then?

The long, slow drive by

There  are two sorts: the builders' van, and the Sunday driver (every day at least two, never mind if it's not Sunday)

Builders: two blokes, one feet on dashboard, 'tother forearm on wheel craning to see of the wall's come down again (UP YOURS pal)

Sunday driver:  two old biddies, of, though not yet in the grave, ashen-faced smiling. Judder past in the wrong gear because they're driving so slowly.  Kindly.

Walkers in groups

That curious dynamic that makes  groups of walkers oblivious of their surroundings, pass by without so much as a flicker.

Single walkers

How's it going? yabber yabber yabber. Let's have a look then! Cheery, joke-filled minute or two.

The precocious child

Mummy, what's the man doing, he looks like Darth Vader? (Welding - er sorry writing braille with a welding stick)

The local retired super-nerd

We chat happily for an hour or so at a time about minutiae,  when I repeatedly refer him to read  @JSHarris on heat decrement delay, @Temp for planning matters, @Nickfromwales for saucy one-liners. 

"Well, I have to say (no he didn't) yours is the most over-engineered house I have ever seen".

Some  locals

Studied avoidance of gaze: the sort I used to get in the 1970s as an Officer Cadet when a senior (but arsey) NCO deliberately avoided saluting me. (The NCO was right)

Headstrong Old Biddies

Well now what are you making the roof out of? What? What's that then?

Harumphhhh. I could forgive you if the roof was going to be slate.

I may be working on my own at the moment. But there's a committee of watchers out there. I'm starting to sell tickets tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Guest Alphonsox

Many similar  to us, but would have to add:-

Plumber

Your heating it with what ! - You'll need 15kW minimum to heat a place that size.

I think it was @PeterStarck told me that once everything was sealed up, all they had heating wise for the whole house was a 2 or 3kW fan heater switched on "occasionally" whilst working in there throughout a nasty winter. With NO heating on when I visited, it without doubt felt the warmest house I'd ever been in.

A testament to these heavily insulated, air tight builds when done well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

Many similar  to us, but would have to add:-

Plumber

Your heating it with what ! - You'll need 15kW minimum to heat a place that size.

There is always silence when I talk about heating - well, its absence. As for no cylinder for hot water.... And Sunamp just kills the conversation stone dead.

Wildly different to me. Many days I’m working on my own and can be summarised as:

No one

Nobody

Silence

Solitude

Alone

I do occasionally get into a conversation with someone at the local village pub. The conversation normally goes:

”Where are you building a house”

”I explain”

”They look mildly confused”

”I explain again”

”They continue to look confused”

”I change the subject”

It’s not a remote location at all. It’s just that the entrance to the drive looks like any other gated entrance around these parts and the house just can’t be seen from a road or footpath. 

• Sad 1

I have many neighbours and a footpath runs along the site edge, I have stopped telling people when I hope to finish as things are taking longer than I expected - most have now stopped reminding me. One family who were in a holiday rental last year and this did wonder how I was getting on as I had said I had hoped to be finished by next March - no chance.

There are four or five regulars who stop for a natter, mainly now about other mad neighbours generally they are supportive and notice when I am not there commenting the next time they see me. It has its moments  - last week I was installing the earth rod and I came across a large (10") iron cylinder I was uncovering it a couple (five doors down) wandered by and peered into the hole. I have have found this cylindrical thing down here I am just investigating perhaps, I said jokingly, its a UXB. She said "I lived in this area during WWII and this area was heavily bombed. I went much more gingerly and they marched off up the path at some pace! Needless to say it looks like it was some sort of drain pipe but very large.

I try to fit in to the community as well, we will be neighbours when its finished, and do things for people, many of whom are elderly. So far I have delivered rubble, moved a heap of road stone, provided some timber for boarder edging and swept the end of the road where many of the loose stones, that form our road, had migrated out onto the main highway. I have even been invited to the WI coffee morning a few times!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

Plumber

Almost word for word my plumber's reaction to our proposal for a 5kW ASHP for DHW and heating duties.

It was -1 here overnight. Heating still hasn't come on this year (partly because it can't - the ASHP recently threw a fault and we're waiting to get someone out to take a look).

The concrete floor downstairs is starting to get uncomfortably cool to walk around on without socks, but the house is still perfectly comfortable.

I'll add a couple:

Estate agent (an acquaintance who ended up at ours after the pub with a group of friends one night)

[As we arrive:]"Ooh, can I have a look around? I've wondered for ages what your house was like inside."

[After poking around:] "I don't really like modern houses, but the inside isn't as bad as I thought it'd be based on the outside. It's actually pretty good."

In vino veritas, indeed!

Random local couple who we know to say hello to, walking by

[Brick skips going up]: "Oh, they look nice"

[Us]: Yes, once they're done they'll be painted white".

[Them]: "Oh no, I don't like that at all."

• Like 2

Guy next door who owns the nursing home is really interested in what we are doing - sees it as a real positive. 

Old boy opposite tells anyone and everyone “eee it’s costing a lotta money ...!” despite him having no idea what it’s actually costing ..!! He’s soon there though when there is something for free ...!!

I quite like chatting to people who are curious about the house. Over the years we've had:-

Around 20 AECB members visiting a PH

Eight middle aged people from Sweden (EU) looking at over 50s rural living in UK

Dozen or so lady ramblers stop by twice a year to monitor progress

Locals always curious about a house without heating

and the dustmen once a fortnight for an update and giving me tips such as when turf laying 'it's green side up'.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Similarly I like the banter with passers by.  Being 10m from the West Highland Way guarantees plenty of international ramblers passing by. On a summer weekend its like Sauchiehall Street out there!

Noteable ones include

• 5 middle aged Irish farmers who had an amazing amount of knowledge about building.
  • a couple of young nurses from Surrey who helped me lift a wall panel into place
  • 3 ladies from Palm Beach walking the Way, all in their nineties and all with full make up on.
  • a dozen German scouts who stopped on a foul evening and had their dinner in the hut. After cooking noodle (spaghetti) they gave the place an amazing deep clean before offering me a dram from the whiskey they had bought from Germany...they were Ranger Scouts so around 20 years old.
  • And none of the Americans ever, ever said they would vote Trump

5 hours ago, MikeSharp01 said:

[...]

I try to fit in to the community as well, we will be neighbours when its finished, and do things for people, many of whom are elderly. So far I have delivered rubble, moved a heap of road stone, provided some timber for border edging and swept the end of the road where many of the loose stones, that form our road, had migrated out onto the main highway.

[...]

Broadly similar list of jobs / volunteering for me.  Plus everyone thinks they have a right to wear a few hundred miles off the clutch on my Land Rover anytime someone breaks down, or gets stuck on a field.

Mind you I wish that a ...

3 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

[...]

Dozen or so lady ramblers stop by twice a year 

[...]

and that they might bring me

tea and cakes and jam

and slices of delicious ham

and chocolate with pink inside

(Apologies to Belloc)

But then again, maybe not.

I can add:

Suspicious pair in paint splattered jeans caught looking at our site workers pick-up truck from the grave yard of the church next door:

Q: "Do you know where John Smith is buried?"

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Q: "Do you know where John Smith is buried?"

You live local to John Smith's hallowed grave ..... How lucky are you. IIRCC it has a beer pump and free beer can be had on various anniversaries?

Edited by MikeSharp01
Typo

13 hours ago, Onoff said:

I think it was @PeterStarck told me that once everything was sealed up, all they had heating wise for the whole house was a 2 or 3kW fan heater switched on "occasionally" whilst working in there throughout a nasty winter. With NO heating on when I visited, it without doubt felt the warmest house I'd ever been in.

A testament to these heavily insulated, air tight builds when done well.

I was do some minor mods to the heating/cooling control system today, and noticed that  the heating hadn't yet come on at all this year, despite the sub-zero temperature last night.  I made the small modifications (really aimed at stopping a motorised valve from operating every time the programmer turned on, whether the house needed heating or not) and as a test I manually turned the UFH heating on for half an hour, just to check all was OK and that the buffer tank valve was now just staying open all the time, unless there was a cooling demand.  The house was up over 22 deg C within half an hour, and I was getting a bit warm laying carpet tiles in our "loft" storage areas (which are under the eaves) so had to run down and turn it off.  The house was still over 22 deg C when I left at around 17:30, so will undoubtedly be a bit warm for the next day or two....................

I recognise the slow drive-by brigade, some of which have had us wondering  if they are scumbags checking out to see if there's anything to pinch,  but most are clearly just curious/nosey. The comments we've  had from locals and passersby have all been complimentary,  though I am getting weary of repeatedly answering the question  "so when will you move in?" - since I don't even know the answer to that one myself. In the early stages we did have to temporarily put a polite sign up to tell people to keep out (despite having the proper building site type notice up) when we were not around, after encountering people we barely know wandering around looking at the trenches and foundations on more than one occasion, though now the building is actually there this has stopped apart from friends and some very helpful neighbours, who are more than welcome.

• 5 years later...

I need to add another 'type'

Just met an old geezer in his van. The conversation went like this ....

Red van pulls up outside our place while I'm taking a delivery: the lorry is blocking the road so the van has to stop. 

Driver:  (65 + , overalls, dusty driving cab, loads of half empty coffee cups on the dash, 3 days stubble where he consistently misses while shaving, invoices everywhere  like confetti).

Never met or even seen him before. Window winds down slowly (by hand)

"Av yer had yer 'ip dun yet ?"

I grin  "Which one you on about ?"

"Wa?"

"I've just had my second one popped in .... end of March"

"Me 'n all: in Kendal (hospital)  wi' Mr Stewart" (The Worlds Best Orthopedic Surgeon)

[....] 

"Aye lad, ah jus need me prostrate dun now 'an ah'll bee reet". 

Roars off using the van's clutch as an accelerator.  I'm holding on to my withers laughing, and trying not to wet myself.

Type? Lovely Old Tradesman Geezer

• Haha 1