self building is so addictive

Frame up and just getting right into all things self build!. Been doing some airtightness taping and find it very addictive!! It is true that when you are doing it for yourself you really take care and never seem to get to down at how much work is involved (me thinks). Ask me again when we have finished. Will try and get some pictures up soon but I am not to great on computers , prefer the more practical side of house building.

Just as an aside what part of people's build did they enjoy the most?  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I did my first self build 10 years ago and enjoyed every day. 

But I set some rules and stuck by them. 

I worked the same hours I do now so on site at 7.30and off site at 4pm. 

Only did shopping for materials on Saturday morning and took the wife for a tour and a quick sweep up in the afternoon. 

Just trying to get permission for our new one now. 

Edited by Russell griffiths
  • Like 1

Guest Alphonsox
21 minutes ago, Pete said:

Frame up and just getting right into all things self build!. Been doing some airtightness taping and find it very addictive!! It is true that when you are doing it for yourself you really take care and never seem to get to down at how much work is involved (me thinks). 

We felt like that at the early stages ! Self build can be very rewarding but be aware that there is a dark side, there will be times you will wonder why you ever bothered (there’s a representative set of posts with this view on the forum). We’ve been building for three years now and are “nearly finished” but then we were “nearly  finished” a year ago as well. Don’t underestimate the amount left todo.

I'm about 90% through airtight taping, and I have to say, I'm sick to death of the stuff, and once I'm finished I wish never to see it again!  That said, I'm happy that it's been done to the best of my ability, but I'll cry if I don't get a half decent test result.

The best bit? To be honest, I reflect fondly on the dreaming, designing, planning and prepping stage. The actual building part has been hard work.  One day, I hope to say that moving in was the best bit. ?

• Like 1

We will be 3 years next Feb, airtightness stuff was ok but putting battens on the timber frame - and getting it plumb etc at the same time was a test.  I wont ever be doing that again, id rather have 'character' in the walls.  Hopefully first fix done before new year - I love it when plasterboard goes up.  Doing it all myself so its slow progress, should find some help really - more done in a day and more enjoyable.

7 minutes ago, CC45 said:

We will be 3 years next Feb, airtightness stuff was ok but putting battens on the timber frame - and getting it plumb etc at the same time was a test.  I wont ever be doing that again, id rather have 'character' in the walls.  Hopefully first fix done before new year - I love it when plasterboard goes up.  Doing it all myself so its slow progress, should find some help really - more done in a day and more enjoyable.

Doing the battening at the moment and know what you mean. It is tempting to have character and sometimes a darn sight easier but our build is very contemporary and it needs to be straight, flat with no ripples in. We have a cantilevered overhang on three sides and the laminated veneer beams are slightly wider than they should have been and this has created an issue which instead of just fixing the battens in place has meant I have had to break each batten at the junction of the frame and laminated beam, plane and pack the remaining piece of batten to ensure that from the outside the wall will be flat. I suppose we all have issues with the build that we have to overcome and this is the first and possibly not the last we will have!

Watch this space.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 28/10/2017 at 21:58, Roundtuit said:

I'm about 90% through airtight taping, and I have to say, I'm sick to death of the stuff, and once I'm finished I wish never to see it again!  That said, I'm happy that it's been done to the best of my ability, but I'll cry if I don't get a half decent test result.

Yesterday was the moment of truth, and we had our first airtightness test (will do no. 2 on completion). No tears were shed, and I think I should be pleased with 0.84 ach on a 270 sq m build. Can't help the urge to hunt down and fill the offending leaks though!

• Like 4