Scale models

Russell griffiths

10 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

What are the laws about recovering ground?

Can you build a mini-polder into the lake if it is your lake? Even 5m on all round would be a huge difference.

Flood protection, innit.

Serious question.

I'm not sure what point you are trying to get at @Ferdinand  why do I want to extend over the lake?

we have plenty of land to play with we can move the house in any orientation we need to. 

The main problem is that the old cabin is so small even doubling its size makes it to small, the smallest we can go to fit the rooms in we want is about 2.5 times the footprint, this is the problem the planning officer has. 

We have a site meeting this Friday to try and win him around. 

We have already adjusted the room sizes once and managed to cut 25m off. 

I don't think 166m downstairs is an overly large house. 

The thing he is doing is adding in the 46m garage and the two car ports which brings the floor area up a fair bit. When we could easily apply for a large detached workshop with no problems. 

On 31/10/2017 at 18:26, Russell griffiths said:

I'm not sure what point you are trying to get at @Ferdinand  why do I want to extend over the lake?

we have plenty of land to play with we can move the house in any orientation we need to. 

The main problem is that the old cabin is so small even doubling its size makes it to small, the smallest we can go to fit the rooms in we want is about 2.5 times the footprint, this is the problem the planning officer has. 

We have a site meeting this Friday to try and win him around. 

We have already adjusted the room sizes once and managed to cut 25m off. 

I don't think 166m downstairs is an overly large house. 

The thing he is doing is adding in the 46m garage and the two car ports which brings the floor area up a fair bit. When we could easily apply for a large detached workshop with no problems. 

I was looking at the site as constrained by fences, the road (?) etc, and which visually looks tighter on the new one due to hedge positioning, and how within that you could make it seem more spacious. I was also throwing in the "water's edge" idea.

Edited by Ferdinand

How likely is it that Permitted Development Rights might be withdrawn if an application was made that excluded some of the items that could be added by using them?

What I'm thinking is that you could make an amended application for the core building, then add the car port and garage part either under PD, or after PP has been granted by a material modification, using the argument that you could add these later without PP using the PD that would then apply.

Edited by JSHarris
  • Like 1

@Ferdinand if you look at the two Photos you can see a large Cotswold stone place, this is my neighbours 6 bedroom 4 bath house, if you look a bit closer you can see a small cabin this is my place, the lake closest the camera is my neighbours and the two lakes above that one are mine. We don't have any restrictions with room and the gravel road, as we own that as well?To be honest we own more or less every thing around us for aprox 250m in any direction. 

We have a very nice letter from our neighbour in full support of our house starting that he is petrified that if developers were to ever get hold of it then it would get destroyed. 

We always new we would have an uphill struggle with this as the lawful dwelling we have on site was achieved through the councils inability to enforce there own rules and the cabin on site should have been removed many years ago which we didn't do instead we let it out for the past twenty years with no enforcement from the council, last year we gained a certificate of lawfulness for a permanent dwelling. And we believe put a few noses out of joint at the council. 

13 minutes ago, Jml said:

Wow, beautiful location.

It is. 

We've twice stayed in the same cabin at Russell's neighbours place: https://loghouseholidays.co.uk/montys-retreat/

The only snag is that since we first stayed there the prices have risen a fair bit, largely because they have invested in things that frankly don't appeal much to us, like hot tubs outside.  We like going there when it's bitterly cold, and the lake may well be partially frozen.  Being in such a peaceful and quiet spot, with the only noise being the GSHP that keeps the place warm, is magical.  We keep meaning to go in spring or summer and take the electric (solar powered) boat with us, but by the time we get around to thinking about it the cabins are always fully booked.