TV aerial in closed panel timber frame.

Moira Niedzwiecka

On ‎10‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 14:43, Moira Niedzwiecka said:

This may be silly but does the TV aerial have to be mounted on the house?

Does the length of the cable have any bearing on the signal reception?

If not & the internal aerial does not work could we mount an aerial on the garage?

We are in open countryside and in an elevated position.

If this is a possibility we could put an aerial cable through some existing service ducting that is entering the house through the foundation and coming up through the insulated floor.

That would be possible but I wouldn't get too concerned about running the wire through a hole in the wall of the house. eg try the loft first and if it doesn't work drill a hole through the wall, push the wire through and seal around it.

Jeremy,

I owe you a huge thank you.

I passed on the information you supplied about the SVP & today had this from Building Control:

Dear Moira,

Thanks for the comments, The interpretations are mostly correct and I can accept your argument. I would have some reservations in the event of a blockage; you may get flooding but this should be evident at a low level vent before the building becomes affected.

Can I suggest that you carefully consider where you intend to put the vent, (bearing in mind it needs to be at least 3m away from any opening into a building) with respect to boundaries, neighbours and passers-by who may become aware of its location.

You may need to run this past your warranty provider.

Regards

John

John Brammall MCIOB CBuildE MCABE
Principal Building Control Surveyor

Glad you had a sensible outcome, Moira. 

The usual advice for a low level vent, in addition to the points he's made (some of which are moot  - in the event of back flooding from a blockage inspection covers downstream would probably have already blown off, or the toilets downstairs will be backing up!)  is to locate it within a flower bed or area of planting, as plants and soil are effective at removing any slight odour.  A friend that had a problem with slight, very occasional, odour from a treatment plant vent relocated it in the centre of a hollow planter, so it was surrounded by soil and plants, and that completely solved the problem.

The low level vent does not need to be the same size as the soil pipe, it's acceptable to reduce it down to, I think, 75mm diameter.