Asbestos!

Dee

It does indeed look like asbestos cement panels but impossible to say for certain from those photos.

There are labs who would analyse it for you and give you a definitive answer.

BTW - the rule of thumb for asbestos in buildings in the UK is that new construction dating since the year 2000 is safe (it was finally outlawed in 1999 but some may have been held in stock hence the 2000 date).

Anything prior to that date should be treated as suspect.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 1

I've had a registered company remove it all plus sealed the ceiling in the garage. 

He said it was RAW asbestos.... The worst you could get. 

My concern is my young nephew put his foot though it when it was collapsed on the floor.... I'm terrified he might have inhaled some particles. 

The property is 1963 but I think the shed was about 80s.

It's too late for analysis,, stuffs gone. 

I want someone to say it's cement asbestos and NOT raw, think he might have played on my fear (my  Dad died of Mesothelioma!) 

Thanks for your input 

10 minutes ago, Dee said:

I want someone to say it's cement asbestos and NOT raw, think he might have played on my fear (my  Dad died of Mesothelioma!) 

'Raw' asbestos is a fibrous material, not something encased in a matrix and formed into a sheet! Obviously cannot say for certain what the matrix is.

• Like 1

I've asked for analysis. 

Am I right in thinking that cement board was used externally as it was weatherproof but raw asbestos would degrade with rain ect?, My stuff has been exposed for years (not covered in anything) and hasn't degraded at all. 

[Edit - Aha having read more carefully i see that it has gone. Sorry. If nephew putting foot through asbestos cement once and no fibres are obvious I think you are okay. Sorry - trigger subject for me since asbestos got my dad.]

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand
Misread OP
  • Sad 1

As above, it looks very much like asbestos cement board, which isn't a massively high risk.   You're also right, asbestos cement board was used as an external rain screen or roof covering, whist raw fibrous asbestos was mainly used as pipe insulation, often around steam pipes.

Our lungs are pretty good at cleaning stuff that we breathe in, out, especially when we are young, so the risk of fibres remaining lodged after a one-off, short duration exposure will be extremely low.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone, I'm panicking a bit less now!

He is going to take a sample from the garage ceiling which he said is the same stuff. 

He charging  me £1000 for bagging up and removing two shed walls and applying two coats of paint to the ceiling.... Have I been had? Haven't paid yet! 

34 minutes ago, Dee said:

He charging  me £1000 for bagging up and removing two shed walls and applying two coats of paint to the ceiling.... Have I been had?

wouldn't have said so, at least not that badly, It costs quite a lot to tip asbestos even when it is in their special red bags, also the carrying license isn't cheap,.....was it special paint?

also, i will agree with Mr big potato, there really is nothing you can do about it now, worry about the things you can change, it's much more productive ;) 

My FiL used to work in a long since closed local power station. They had a raw asbestos filled panel fall from a crane hook in the turbine hall and it went everywhere when it hit the floor. He's had chest X-rays annually every year paid for by the company since and on into his retirement.

Pretty sure I read on the website for our local tip that if you double bag it and only take so much per month you can get rid of there still. Something I need to eventually consider for the old roof panels on my tumbledown stable block.

Edited by Onoff
  • Confused 1

15 hours ago, Dee said:

Thanks everyone, I'm panicking a bit less now!

He is going to take a sample from the garage ceiling which he said is the same stuff. 

He charging  me £1000 for bagging up and removing two shed walls and applying two coats of paint to the ceiling.... Have I been had? Haven't paid yet! 

I had a quote of £350 to get rid of a small shed roof. I'd say the price is fair, after all.....who wants to do that for a living anyway ? To know it's safely been removed / treated ?......smile when you pay, it's not a bad price at all. ?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dee said:

[...] applying two coats of paint to the ceiling....[...]

Whats the purpose of that ..?? Did he find old artex ..? If so, ideally you should put a warning sticker / marker somewhere that it may contain asbestos. 

@PeterW

It's required practice to seal the panels with a special paint so it prevents fibers from dislodged if it is Raw asbestos ... I spoke with our compliance officer at work (NHS) and he confirmed that it's the correct protocol. Belt and braces!!! 

• Like 1

@Nickfromwales@PeterW

I've now discovered what I think is an asbestos water cistern  in the attic .... It's unplumped but looks like dust around the base. 

It's too big to fit through the hatch whole so I'm thinking of wrapping it and leaving it. 

I've researched the appropriate mask and protective wear..... Am I playing with fire!? 

Edited by Dee

3 hours ago, Dee said:

@Nickfromwales@PeterW

I've now discovered what I think is an asbestos water cistern  in the attic .... It's unplumped but looks like dust around the base. 

It's too big to fit through the hatch whole so I'm thinking of wrapping it and leaving it. 

I've researched the appropriate mask and protective wear..... Am I playing with fire!? 

Get a hozelock spray bottle and fill it 50/50 with PVA and water. Spray it a few times until saturated and leave to dry. Then do it again a bit later. That seals the surface and locks any loose material in place. 

?

• Thanks 1