Why insulate

Russell griffiths

That’s pretty much why we have less insulation in the dining room and kitchen than we have elsewhere ..! The rest of the house has a minimum of 150mm blown bead EPS plus a 25mm inner skin of PIR with all joints taped. We were putting the ceiling in the dining up last week - it’s vaulted - and we could feel the warmth coming up from just a 2kw fan heater 20ft away ..! There is an MVHR outlet going in the front of the false chimney to push the heat downwards and out through the kitchen extracts too. And the stove is below all this ..! 

Right now I'm battling draughts left right and centre! The icy wind has just been cutting right through the house but the good news is I'm finding out why it's so bad. Nice big gaps in the aerated block work mortar joints just might be the issue! Unheated new extension becomes a sauna though when I chuck the oil heater in there but the silly double set of bifolds even though triple glazed doesn't keep the heat in forever on the north facing side of the house but heyho. 

Weve sealed up an old wall vent which has made a big difference and as said I've started sorting out the inner block work and then will seal up the foam I've used to make sure it remains airtight. 

The amount of time I've spent already which hasn't dented the amount of work I still have to do is quite depressing but bit by bit is all I can do

New front door going in at some point which will then allow me to sort out cavity in the door reveal with the builder soon as I know there are no closers there and large gaps around the existing door with no sealant which just allows nice air to flow in behind the plasterboard and wherever it wants to go.