Living on site

As for an address, we just use the new house address. A quick word with the local postman and it's now on the post office database without the councils demanded £100 "naming" fee  (I've found couriers and the postman to be brilliant - with no letterbox they'll leave stuff in a box on-site for me and know my wife works shifts so have been creative about signed-for items for us which would have meant waking her up otherwise - good solid nice guys! Much appreciated).  We are using a touring caravan as given how rural we are I wasn't convinced I'd be able to get anyone to come out to buy a static after we finished with it, which happened to someone I know. 

Our furniture is stored in my parents spare bedroom/s plus quite a bit is in the new house and will just have to be moved around when I lay the floors  - a pain, but cheaper than storage (being SIPs it's watertight long before being finished and we did not move on site until the SIPs part was built, so this might not work for everyone).

On 27/10/2017 at 23:22, jamiehamy said:

Why not buy a camper van and avoid any issue at all with permission? As long as you have a chemical toilet, loads of room for man and dog! Fit a diesel Eberspacher and you have full central heating. :-) 

I had the BCO out this week as we look to a Temporary Habitation Cert. Says his boss doesn't like issuing them without good reason but as we have the garage to complete won't be an issue. Def need full electrical sign-off but if bits can be missed completely I. E garage, outside lighting he's not bothered. G3 for UVC. Handrails can be temporary as can steps and handrails to the house. At least one apartment must be heated. All smoke alarms must be fully operational. Kitchen. Use a Le. Utility and washing machines not needed. Doors to be on generally with facings to avoid jam hazard. Internal sills must be fitted. One operational bathroom - he accessible one I. E not the ensuite. Drainage tested. Soffits to be fitted and downpipes. 

Btw @VijayI'll be in Northampton week after next for a few days, might bring car down if you're about?

That's a good shout mate, didn't even consider a camper van but might make sense as no haulage and I'd imagine easier to sell on

@jamiehamy absolute, fingers crossed by then I should have the type 1 down for the temp drive ;) I should definitely be around though cos I need to get on with things!!

On 28/10/2017 at 10:47, curlewhouse said:

As for an address, we just use the new house address. A quick word with the local postman and it's now on the post office database without the councils demanded £100 "naming" fee  (I've found couriers and the postman to be brilliant - with no letterbox they'll leave stuff in a box on-site for me and know my wife works shifts so have been creative about signed-for items for us which would have meant waking her up otherwise - good solid nice guys! Much appreciated).  We are using a touring caravan as given how rural we are I wasn't convinced I'd be able to get anyone to come out to buy a static after we finished with it, which happened to someone I know. 

Our furniture is stored in my parents spare bedroom/s plus quite a bit is in the new house and will just have to be moved around when I lay the floors  - a pain, but cheaper than storage (being SIPs it's watertight long before being finished and we did not move on site until the SIPs part was built, so this might not work for everyone).

Good idea, I see the postman delivering to the neighbours when I'm up there so I'll test the water with him. I've ordered a cheap post box from Ebay so it looks official ;)

1 hour ago, Vijay said:

without a water tight shell, B.T won't install a connection

They will install a temporary site connection to a site office - we've had a few done. Doesn't cost much (£150 from memory) but quality can be suspect sometimes due to an overhead line so broadband isn't great.

2 hours ago, Vijay said:

without a water tight shell, B.T won't install a conenction

On our first build they did. The engineer that came to make the connection was pragmatic enough to leave a long coil of cable so that when the house was built we could uncoil it and route it into the house.

As always, tell the suits behind their desks what they want to hear, and the man on the ground will make it work.

• 2 weeks later...

Some useful info on this thread.

I can understand it makes a lot of sense to be on site for getting jobs done, keeping an eye on things and for budget reasons.
However both my girlfriend and I work full time and will be during the build, whilst I can 'escape' to the office she works from home and it seems that it might be bit full on to be on site 24/7 in a caravan.

Anyone had any experience like this? working from home whilst home is being built?

We are both self employed. It can be full on, but it beats being away from the site.

For me especially, it means whenever I get time in between paid jobs, I can use even just a few minutes of spare time doing something useful.

Perhaps because we are doing so much of the work ourselves makes it better? If you were just employing a builder and sat in your 'van just watching it may not be such an advantage?

Also depends on how far you are from your site. I live an hour away which isn't a bad journey but with the absolute morons on the motorway, it gets stressful - it's definitely not needed when your day on site hasn't gone to plan.