Pete

42 minutes ago, recoveringacademic said:

All professional relationships are subject to the same dynamic. How can we -domestic clients- know whether a professional's decisions are really in our best interests?

My answer to that one is that we need to develop sufficient hinterland / nouse to give us the confidence level we require.

Pinning tails on donkeys is a favourite party game (for those watching) for very good reasons :D.

Edited by Ferdinand

4 hours ago, daiking said:

I can’t see how Steamy has done anything wrong given the context of his post. 

?, allow me. 

Dai, your builders / sparky / plumber who caused you no end of frustration.....you'd be entitled to brand them with the title "tossers", but would it be fair for you to say  "all builders, sparky's and plumbers are tossers"?

Its fine to say "my architect was a tosser, as he got XYZ wrong". It's not fine to say people you've never met are. ;)

I sketched my plans out many times before I went to an architect. He had a good look at them changed one wall and that was it. He was very easy to work with and seemed happy enough with how the house turned out. 

I have met a lot of builders sparks plumbers plasterers etc that I could call much worse than tossers.